Governor Cuomo

Yep.

I swear to god if he runs and wins I’m out.

The Dems learned last election that they can’t flip the bird to blue collar rural areas and Cuomo’s Safe Act will guarantee he’ll never make it past the nomination process in 2020.

I thought they fixed this in the 2000’s that caused this to stop working and pretty much fucked you for your whole live and no longer just the 5-7 years or whatever normally shows up?

This. 100X this and the core reason why Hillary lost that no one feels like they will acknowledge from that campaign.

“Learned” is a stretch. It seems like they still can’t come to terms and/or have a clear understanding of why they lost. Even if it is very simple.

So is this correct;

Family A, makes $100,001, 2 college children 3.0 GPA, 8 years of SUNY @ $6,470 = $51,760
Family A drives used cars and no vacations.

Family B, makes $99,999, 2 college children 2.0 GPA, 8 years of SUNY @ $0 = $0
Family B buys a new car(s), and/or goes on yearly vacations.

So what’s the plan? Start a personal business, say a race shop that requires the purchase of cars, that operates at a loss to decrease income?

Could contribute more to a 529, but then again they have already been eyed up to be taxed: Obama wants to tax 529 savings: It's a great idea

Or maybe shouldn’t try to figure out how to “make less” money to force kids to live in NYS after graduation…

College shouldn’t be tied to parents income when someone becomes an adult at 18

^^

I was thinking about this in the case of, “What if we stopped claiming our daughter as a dependent, could she then get free school since she’d be under the income limit”, but of course then she’s off our insurance too. Between losing the dependent tax break and paying for her health insurance I’m not sure if I’d even come out ahead on “free” tuition and that’s assuming just dropping her as a dependent would even qualify her to apply for the tuition program. My kid just turned 10 though so I’m sure this plan will change a lot by the time we’re paying for college.

Looks like I’ll be raising all of my rents when competition gets stupid for housing near the universities and then paying it back out in my tax bill to subsidize the universities. It’s the Always Sunny self sustaining economy episode.

All said, I’d be way less pissed, but still pissed, if this addressed specific needs like engineering, medical, sciences, etc. Instead my tax dollars will pay for more pottery majors who will relocate to Peru to live in a commune and never repay the bill either way. I’m not sure why it’s so hard for people to perceive the opportunity cost of “free” these days, but fuck it right?

If anything they already have schools that pay you to learn, they’re called apprenticeships.

I didn’t want to do engineering at first. I wanted to be an electrician and as a backup a plumber. No fucking unions around here would take me or they had some 5 year waiting list. But such is life.

More people with 4 year degrees of no actual direction or direct job path when they leave school :slight_smile:

They should make trade school free.

This.

The unions are hard to get into for skilled trade. At least they were 5yrs ago when I was looking.

They make you do a test, which places you on a list based on your score, and they give you additional points for experience in that trade, going to college, being in the army.

They never called me back, and they only keep your name on the list for 2 yrs I was told.

If you start out non union it will be easier to get into the union, and skilled trade is in demand so the pay and benefits aren’t too bad if you stayed non union.

I’m non union, but I feel my next move is to start my own company.

I don’t think you have to claim your child as a dependent to keep them on your health insurance.

With the information below, I think if your kid at least kept a summer /part time job you could have them file taxes on their own and get free college.

Relationship — the person must be your child, step child, adopted child, foster child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (for example, a grandchild or nephew).Residence — for more than half the year, the person must live in your home.
Age — the person must be either

• under age 19 at the end of the year, or
  • under age 24 and a full-time student for at least five months out of the year, or
  • any age and totally and permanently disabled.

Support — the person did not provide more than half of his or her own support during the year.

• Updated - - -

See additionally

Crucially, the new law makes no distinction between minor and adult children. In other words, “children” who are over the age of 18 and earn enough money to support themselves may still receive health insurance coverage from their parents. This has no bearing on their tax status. In order to secure this benefit, parents aren’t required to claim such children as dependents on their tax returns. Likewise, these children aren’t required to forgo the “personal tax deduction” that non-dependents are entitled to claim.

Law Dictionary: Does Using My Parents’ Health Insurance Make Me a Dependent?

:tup: Something I’ll have to talk to my tax guy about in the next few years then. Nice find.

This x12378945073463124

On a really boring conference call so did a little more digging on the whole “dependent student vs independent student” thing. It’s pretty much impossible to be an independent student at 18 unless your parents are dead.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/infographic-accessible

So they just need to get married or have a baby. Seems simple enough.

• Are you married or separated but not divorced?
  • Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you?
  • Do you have dependents (other than children or a spouse) who live with you and receive more than half of their support from you?

Correct. He’s throwing anything he can over the fence to grab the attention of the national leftist voter base. Notice how he enlisted Bernie to help him with this?

Also, keep in mind we are talking about the guy that almost single-handedly caused the 2008 subprime mortgage crisis as Clinton’s HUD secretary. Logic goes out the window with anything he’s involved in.