Grounding issue, SR20 in S13.

So turns out searching “Ground” is just a waste of time haha.

I have a '89 S13 HB with a SR20 in it. The car was running fine until it developed a leak in a coolant line so that was fine, pulled the turbo/exhauast off and fixed the line. While the car was off the road I also replaced the carpet which had not been previously in the car this year. That is all I did.

When i went to start the car there was no fuel pump, so we traced the issue back to the relay not grounding, we jumped the ground to give it fuel and when we went to start all we got was it cranking and not starting. we then grounded out the plugs and discovered that there was no spark. We’ve since diagnosed the issue as a grouding issue ot the componets. Now can anyone tell me what went wrong?? and what grounds should I check??

I fucking hate automotive electrical :X

thanks,
Fitzy

if you need more grounds, buy different lengths of like 4GA wire and just ground em like crazy

thats all i can think of right now dude…

gl with that tho

buddy, grounds kept me off the road for weeks at at time.

if you’re not getting spark what happened to me was that the coil pack harness at as it curls down the back of the head had split on a small bracket and was shroting out… that caused issues.

then there is the ground right off the harness that wasnt bolted back in after re&re

then the ground pin at the ECU had come loose. This was the ground for the coolant temp sensor, CAS and MAFS… guess how awesome the car ran without that?

there are a variety of key grounds, but those are ones that caught me… check em.

Battery to Chassis
Engine to Chassis (at the intake manifold)
Back of head to Chassis (anywhere is fine)
Coil Pack Harness to Head (wire with the little ring on the end)

Anything else is most likely an engine harness issue.

Run an ohm meter across the various ground points with the other end grounded to the Negative (-ve) terminal on your battery, all the readings should be fairly close.