GTO in snow??

If I still have my GTO in 30 years something has gone horribly wrong with my life plan and/or the world’s technological advancement. I plan to be driving/flying the latest 10000 HP hover car by then. People that are locking their GTO’s away in a garage and hoping they’ll be worth something are hilarious to me. Instead of buying a 20-30k car and hoping it will be worth a lot in the future, while driving a POS most of the time, invest that 20-30k and drive a beater all the time. 30k for 30 years at 10% interest (a modest goal with a decent portfolio) works out to $523,482.07. So the real question I guess should be, “Do you think a GTO is going to be worth $523,482.07 or more in 30 years if you never drove it?”. If not your car investment plan sucks. If so you really must like risky investments. I bet you also invest in Nascar plates. BTW, manage just 3% better average return, 13%, and that 30k portfolio is work $1,173,476.94 after 30 years.

I guess I should have qualified “just a car” though. It’s just a car that does what I want a car to do. It’s got room for 4, it rides smooth enough to be a comfortable DD, it’s RWD, handles well, and is as fast or faster than the vast majority of stock cars in it’s price range. It’s the only car I’ve ever owned that even after a year still makes me grin every time I drive it. Still “just a car” though because if a meteor landed on it tomorrow and I had an insurance check for the value I could hop on autotrader and find another one in minutes.

haha, my c5 loved drifting in the snow up north this winter the week i was up there.

cars are just that - cars

Cars are not investments, they are meant to be driven.

GTO in winter… sheeeesh, its a Pontiac not a Bugatti. Throw some winter tires and enjoy.

Also you mentioned you wish you still had the A4 for winter, ummm you are looking to buy a new car, so why not just get another A4/S4 (seems to be in your price range)?

We have a winner! Ding, Ding, Ding!

Nawww… I don’t drive it in the snow…

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/144/371040500_b3911e6309.jpg

It’s the only reason I have the splash guards. I’ve run 225/50/17 Blizzak WS-50’s on the stocker 17’s the past two years.

How bad do you spin the 225’s in the dry? I know I can light up my 245 snows way too easy so I’m guessing 225’s are even worse.

I have to agree with that. I bought mine on 1/6/06 when it was about 50 degrees for 2 weeks straight. I have about 8,200 miles on it now and everytime I drive it, I am just as excited as when I first bought it. I have to admit, I’m a nancy and do not drive mine in the winter. It was the first car I bought brand new and I plan in keeping it for a long time to come, not as a monitary investment, but as something I can have and not drive when I have Parkinsons. I also have a decent car for winter/DD so I do not have to roll up in winter in a $1k beater.

Yeah, I figured in 5-6 years when mine is getting up there in miles if I still want one I’ll just pick up one of the many babied ones that the car investment geniuses have been storing and pampering for me for oh, about 10-15k. :wink:

Then I’ll send them a picture of it covered in salt in the middle of a Buffalo winter. :lol:

<3

It’s like all the people, my cousin included, who bought those GOOFY Plymouth Prowlers just to park them in the gargage. Yeah, they may have made only 5000 of them, but everyone of the 5000 was parked and never driven, so they aren’t going to be worth anything as there are no less of them.

Eh - the WS-50’s compound is pretty sticky, so the only time I spin them is on ice or if I really stomp on it. Otherwise, with the TC on, they’re ok.

Buy mine, If you really want another a4, I am open to offers. Comes with studded snows
:sario:

You’re a dumbass. I’ve driven every Porsche and BMW I’ve owned in the snow. DIAF.

Drive it.

If you’re worried about rust, get the undercoating. I’ve heard nothing but awesome things about it.

Gte some snow-tires, and get to an open parking lot first thing to learn how to react in slides, and whatnot because it will be different.

That and it’s just a new Pontiac GTO which was a financial failure by Pontiac, so it’s not like your killing some important collector car.