Hard drive question

his issue with raid 0+1 or 1 is hardware… if you only have two drives, you’re kind if in a pinch, you mirror or have optimal i/o throughput… the raid 0 splits up the disk writes across hardware… so the speed is there, its’ just that it relys on the stripe and controller and is garbage for redundancy… since jeff has the backups and this is essentially swap space for him, i’d say this raid is optimal (especially since it’s really the only other option than mirroring with two drives)…

yeah, you’d have to put the drive in and write the stripe from controller memory… that’s why i was asking what hardware it was, some lower level deals write the stripe to hidden disk partitions, that when it gets corrupt, is all shit. i’d boot to the raid controller and see how the controller addresses the drives, whether in degraded or failed status… then go from there.

Jeff, 16 hours is a lot but that process is pretty slow… for that disk space i’d say thats about expected… maybe a little less than optimal. We planned on 36 hours for 1tb chkdsk on a pretty hefty controller.