Setting up raid 0. wtf am I doing wrong?

I built a computer a year ago, used an old hard drive, and it just quit on me. I purchased 2 seagate 7200 250gb hard drives, and I want to set them up in a raid0. I set them up as raid 0 in bios, and see I have 499gb available, and it is functioning. When I reboot with a windows cd, I press f6 to setup the mobo bios driver from a floppy. Windows will never get through the setup. I get a blue screen telling me to reboot. The only way I will get into the setup screen again is to go back into bios and reset the hard drives in bios. Am I trying to do this backwards?

Sorry if this is confusing, I am new to this stuff.

Using the wrong driver perhaps? When you set it up in the BIOS and it shows the 500GB partition, does it also show 500GB when choosing the install location during the windows set up?

Also, run memtest to verify it isn’t something goofy like a bad stick of RAM.

Dont you sometimes need to hit like F8 in windows setup and install a RAID driver at the first step of the blue screen boot process.

yes, it shows 500gb on one drive in windows setup. Memtest didn’t show anything wrong. This setup was working until the hd stopped. The driver is right from the asus cd. It must be something simple I am missing. Should I try to reflash the bios to update it?

If setup sees the logical volume then you shouldnt need additional drivers.
What stage in the setup does it stop at?
I would start by flashing the BIOS and then defaulting it.
Worst case you could always install windows to a regular ATA drive, image it, install your RAID 0 and then redeploy the image to it. It should boot.

Right after setup installs the raid driver from the mobo, it tries to resume setup, and I get a blue screen. So if I setup raid right in bios, I should just try to install windows normally?

I would go with a raid 1 unless you don’t care about your data.

f6 - yea, you are doing this right?

that won’t really work unless you are using something like acronis universal restore and even still that is sometimes sketchy. windows won’t know to use a different controller and it will bsod before you can get into windows and load drivers.

or he doesn’t care about backup and is going for performance…

TBH sounds like you’re using bad drivers. I would re-download new ones from the manufacturer, sometimes the disc drivers that come with your mobo are extremely out of date. you also could have a bad controller.

Are you sure your motherboard supports RAID? Model ? BIOS have the latest firmware? Disk Check the drives?

What OS are you trying to install? From the 3-4 raid0 setups Ive done while on Vista, I never needed to download drivers. Just needed to setup the array through bios and the motherboard raid menu.

mildly OT, but I saw this a couple days ago and lol:

http://www.ghen.be/raid.jpg

I really don’t care that much about the data. This is just for my home computer that I use to go in the internet and download as much as possible. I have a 1tb external for anything important. I just want to make what I have as fast as possible. I am trying to install windows xp 32bit with a asus M3A78-EM mobo, 2 gigs of G.S 1066 ddr2, AMD 5200 dual core processor. I will download the latest firmware for the mobo and see if that works.

On the asus website it only shows raid drivers for vista or xp32/64. When I open the file for xp, it only displays a version for x64 or x86 I don’t see a 32? I think this may be the problem. Can you only do a raid setup on a 64 bit system?

x86 = 32 bit

edit: here is an explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86

I agree… RAID 0 isn’t any faster really anyway… I did it with Raptors and got next to no speed increases.

Raid 1 or don’t bother with the two drives

You’re right. I am so used to using imaging software that restores to non like hardware that I forget you cant do that natively. Another trick to restoring an image to non like hardware is doing a windows setup repair (the second R option) which will also install the divers you need. But it would probably lock up too so nevermind.

What was the reasoning behind striping two drives on a desktop PC?

You’re probably having some driver issues…Go use nLite and throw the drivers in and make a new ISO to install from.

Thanks for the help everyone. I can’t get it to work. I tried reflashing the bios, new firmware, tried setting up as raid1. Nothing seems to work right. I am giving up on raid0. I am just going to set it up normally and o.c it a little. Maybe I will try it again when I get some more ram and run a 64 bit.
Edit: LZ I just wanted to get some faster performance. I don’t need it for gaming as I have never played a pc game. I was bored for a bit and wanted to upgrade.

Hmmm intersting.

I have a ASUS P5K Deluxe MB, and once the drives were fomatted; and was seen in the Bios; it loaded win XP fine on it. No need to f-around with any extra drivers.

And if your Raid 0 setup didn’t speed it up; then your striping size was probably wrong for your applications. A lot of applications won’t see the difference, but some most definetly do (CAD and FEA for sure from my experience).

And as for Raid 0 loosing data… I’ve had ZERO issues in 2 years with a pair of Velociraptors that are in a Raid 0 setup. The comp auto-backups every week onto a 500Gb drive just in case though.

I doubt you’re going to tune stripe size on a PC based on the data you’re working with :lol:

Hey, you know more about computers than I!!! I won’t doubt you if you say I’m wrong. I’m just going by what I was told to setup by another IT guy for what I was running.:gotme: