Need a device driver for cd rom....WTF?

got my bios and raid array setup, now trying to install WIn7 64bit. CD boots in the drive, installation window pops up, then when I click the start button I get a window prompt that a required device driver is missing for the CD rom that is , well, running the damn CD that’s making the prompt window to begin with???

i thought CDrom drives had built in device drivers, and that windows sourced them automatically? WTF can I do to get around this as I cannot find a driver to save my life.

Samsung SATA SH-S223 drive…

can you run the install off a flash drive?

not sure. I’ll have to copy everything on the CD to a flash drive here and try that.

I assume I’ll have to boot from USB…IIRc I saw that on the boot menu…gonna go give that a whirl and report back thanks wayne…

Well, despite it being now 5am and schooling myself in the setup procedures of creating a bootable USB drive, it appears to now be loading.

I owe you a beer Wayne, thanks

WinToFlash FTMFW,…just sucked fucking balls on this install because NONE of my shop PC’s were setup for LAN/ethernet at all, so I had to then find ways to download the driver programs onto my Fedora powered laptop, then convert them over to a USB drive, then load to one shop computer to open, then load from there to Wtoflash, then to my PC for install.

H O L Y F U C K I N R U T S ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Still owe you a beer, but I may have spoke to soon.

Finally got the PC to actually start the installation procedure which allowed me to manually install the RAID drivers so I could “see/choose” the RAID array to install the OS to.

Goes through entire installation process right up to the completing part, then prompts a error message saying:

“Windows could not prepare the computer to boot to the next phase of installation. To install windows, restart the installation”

Multiple attempts result in the same error.

Any idea as to the cause of this? I have the bios primary boot set to USB-HDD to run from the usb drive. Could this be the cause? I have have the RAID controller set off the chip on the MB, and am using the 64 bit drivers from the gigabyte website for this MB.

restarted the PC, and tried the installation from scrath again and it shows as if I never installed any drivers and doesn’t list the array(like I’m back to square one)

hmmmmm…

You probably need to load the ‘correct’ RAID controller drivers (newest version, 64-bit vs 32-bit, Win Vista/7/etc.). I ran into the same problem with an older desktop I’ve been playing around on- I forget what the screen says, but there’s a point at which it prompts you if you want to load additional drivers- at which time you plug in the USB stick or whatnot with the driver files on it and fire away… but you need to make sure they’re the ‘correct’ drivers.

If nothing else, there’s a key sequence that will kick off a command prompt while you’re still running the Windows installer- you can then open Notepad or Wordpad and browse to the Windows setup log (usually in the root of the Windows directory) and find out exactly what the error is that’s hanging up the process. I was getting errors only found in the setup log.

It’s a whole mess of crap, yes- but it should get you somewhere more useful… if you’ve got any questions, just keep asking, sir! :slight_smile:

I setup the raid controller through through the motherboard via how the manual stated to do so. It was the same settings in the motherboard bioas as before, just in the raid bios instead of having two drives in the array and a separate floater, I put all three drives in the array. This computer was a raid setup to start with, was just 32 bit.

I went to the motherboard website and downloaded the drivers from them and put them onto a usb. during the windows installation it did pop up stating no drivers were found(for the raid controller) and did not show any available disk space/hard drives in the list in which to install the OS to. Under the drviers tab, I manually installed the appropriate drivers from a secondary USB, at which point the array I created popped up on the list and could be selected for the install.

Install begins, fills transfer and load from the bootable USB I created for windows, goes through that entire installation checklist, then right at the very end prompts the error message and give me nothing other than an OK to click, which routes me back to the very beginning of the installation process. I cannot access and logs or files at this point.

If I shut the computer down and restart it in the same manner, the computer doesn’t show anything, as if I never even installed the raid drivers and the process beings again.

So i’m curious if this may be a bios setting I have wrong. The motherboard is is Gigabyte CrossFireX, AM2+ socket, model GA-MA790X-UD4P. If their website I was given the option for AMD raid driver or an AHCI(or something) like that. Being that I remember the drivers on the PC being somethign like AMD console,a dn AMD RAID controller, I chose the AMD driver as I did not setup the motherboard bios for the other.

Driver was listed as “motherboard_driver_raid_amd_sb7xx_bootdisk_win7-64bit” from their drop down menu if you wanted to check that out.

for shits and giggle I will list the applicable MB bios setting I have that would really apply to this below so you can see. I know the MB manual is available on their site in PDF for reference.

under Intergrated Peripherals:

OnChip SATA controller - ENABLED
OnChip SATA Type - RAID
OnChip SATA ports 4/5 Type - RAID
Onboard GSATA-II controller - DISABLED(as was before when pc was 32bit)

under Advanced BIOS

Hard Disk book Priority
1: SCSI-0 : RAID Array 1 (I created this)
2: Bootable Ad In Cards

First boot device - USB-HDD (for booting windows install, was CDROM)
Second boot device - Hard Disk(same as it was before)
Third boot device - DISABLED
HDD SMART - DISABLED

Under the actual RAID BIOS(using AMD Option Rom Utility) I can see the array I created, showing all three channels and the the drives are functioning fine.

Under define is shows the array setup with three drives, RAID 0, showing total GB of ball hair of 3TB, stripe block size of 64kb and WriteThru cache mode.

Under Controller Configuration though I do see this:

AHCI HBA MMIO ADDRESS : FE02F000

I can’t change that, but also don’t ahve a clue as to what that means.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, any ideas :lol:excited :d

It would appear that you are doing everything correctly at this point. Is this a retail copy of Windows 7 or an ISO that was downloaded from somewhere (other than digitalriver)? The easiest way to make a bootable Windows 7 USB flash drive would be to use a Windows based machine and download the official Microsoft utility (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool). You could even slip-stream the RAID driver into the installer after, but that’s not necessary.

I have had issues where certain USB flash drives, even using the official utility, just plain refuse to work as a fully functional Windows installation disk. In these cases – I’ve used a different brand flash drive and had no issue.

If you want, I could always come by and help you get it figured out.

thanks man. I received windows from Samir, not sure where it’s from. This whole USB flash thing is very new to me, along with the rest of this raid stuff. I’ve done regular 32bit os installs before from digital drives but that’s pretty straight forward compared to this.

I just wish the damn cdrom drive install would work. I have no idea why it’ll boot the disk from the CD and load the windows files, but then tell me it doesn’t have the appropriate driver installed right when i click the start button to begin the install procedure in the dialog window. I so confuzeededededed :dunno I can see the benefit of a bootable usb when the pc doesn’t have a cd drive(like on a little notebook) but if you’ve got the disk and have a drive it should be straight forward IMO(this is coming from a non-puter adept person here)

I just dug out another SATA cdrom drive that I had and might put that one in an see what happens.

I guess if I could just find the damn drivers for the CDROM drives I might be in good order, but I cannot find them anywhere online(as previously I thought they were built into these drives and windows automatically pulled them from a ROM in the device…) If I could I’d probably be able to get the thing to load the way it should…

Are some CDROM drives just not compatible with 64bit?

Just came across this site

http://www.driverguide.com/

Seems it may have what i need but don’t want to be downloading bullshit. anyone ever use this site for this stuff? Comments?

You don’t need any additional drivers for a basic rom drive. Identify what SATA port it is connected to and configure BIOS to see the drive as IDE for the most compatibility.

Also, try a different SATA port. Sometimes, boards have separate SATA controllers for some ports.

I forgot to mention – the loading of files is done prior to booting into the installer. Once the installer is loaded, it needs to know how to communicate with the drive. If the ROM drive is on one of the SATA ports that are configured for RAID, you can run into an issue where it cannot see things on that port (no RAID driver). That could also cause your ROM drive issue.

I’m retarded. Simple fix here. Re-enable the GSATA-II controller – the ROM drive should be connected to port 0 or port 1 which should be the Gigabyte SATA controller instead of the AMD RAID controller. Set the ROM drive as the primary boot device… profit.

Otherwise, you gotta slip-stream the RAID driver into the install DVD.

Thanks for the info! I will give that stuffd a shot. Have to temp remove my video card so I can see what ports things are plugged into as the card is so big it covers them all up(they’re like double stacked SATA ports or something, not sure what the tech term is)

THANKS! Will report results

Ok just to verify…you want me to re-enable the GSATA-II as sata as well as leave the other OnChip controller set to raid?? Where I have “OnChip sata ports 4/5” what should I set that to?

Yikes, just found out that RAID or 1 must have at least two drives(check) but also must be an even number of drives(ooopps I have 3). Might be a problem right there???

Going to setup the array with only two drives now and try again.

RAID 0 can use as many drives as you have room for, RAID 1 is a 2 drive array as it’s made for redundancy. If you were able to build the array, you are golden.

You are the man. Took your suggestions, dug through the case and found that the CDROM was plugged into SATA port 5. So under the BIOS where is sets the port4/5 status I changed that to IDE instead of “as sata type” and boom, the drive registered with windows and worked.

It booted off and installed from the CD like a charm. I owe you some beer my friend!

I did change the array to two drives though, so i have a floater drive in the bay right now not being used. What’s the best method to set that up as a backup? do i need to install the OS to that drive first?

I’m not sure if you RAID controller will support the mode, but with three drives, you can do a RAID 1 + a hot spare, giving you mirroring and a failsafe. Otherwise, you could do a RAID 5 for performance, but if one drive fails, you’ll have no ‘hot spare’.

Otherwise, you can organize your data to what’s more important- have the OS run on one standard disk (non-redundant), and your data on your mirrored RAID volume (or vice-versa, depending on order of importance).

Well i have another thought here.

i have some 32 bit based programs that i like using still and i know i can use a virtual machine to run them on the 64os. however is it possible for me to take the separate hard drive i have in there as an ide drive, install win 7 32 bit back on that, and end up with another harddrive in the case that i could boot from the boot menu to run the programs?

just something i was thinking about

nevermind put mans pants on and did it. windows boot manager took care of the rest of my questions. works.