Hatch wont close /domelight stays on-Cherokee

My goddamn hatch is fucked up. The thing closes but only after i slam the shit out of it, will have to wait till spring. My main issue right now, the dome lights wont go off, where is the light switch for this fuckin thing in back?!!

Yours is worse than mine I guess- mine used to require a light slam but now it’s won’t open at all. The switch is connected to the latch somehow- when I was replacing my hatch carpet I just tripped the latch with a screwdriver to get the interior lights to turn off so as to not kill my battery. That may work for you until you can fix it at least.

ya when my hatch is closed it wont open with the outside handle, i have the interior panel off and i have to pull up on the arm inside near the latch mechanism. ill have to just pull the plug on those wires for now till i replace the latch assembly.

I just delt with this on my 98 cherokee not to long ago, depending on the year this might help you. The arm that comes up from the latch can be adjusted. It’s hard to explain, the clip that attaches to the threaded part of the rod needs to be moved down inorder to get rid of the play in the exterior handle. My hatch opens and closes no problem now.

yeah i messed with the arm, had it fixed then patched in some JB weld and that did the trick. My issue is the latch mechanism itself wont latch onto the striker plate, probably a spring or two toast.

I did solve my lighting isssue, found the ground to the light back there and just pulled it off the door. solved.