'99 Jeep Cherokee - Rear Door Won't unlock/open

Any tips on getting it open?

It seems like the lock won’t unlock. Likely seized up.

that happend to my last one as well. I’ve heard of several combinations from pulling and punching to kicking and screaming.

seems that the proper way is to pull the cover from the inside and replace the latch mechanism.

[quote=“Bigairskier1580"”]

Any tips on getting it open?

It seems like the lock won’t unlock. Likely seized up.

[/quote]

Probably going to have to take the door apart. I had to do that on the GTP. Getting the door panel off from the inside with it closed = PITA.

Lube the shit out of it and see what happens. If that doesnt work, youll probably have to replace the mechanism

Well, I think it needs lube.

How the hell do you get the door panel off with the door closed though??

[quote=“Bigairskier1580,post:4,topic:28110"”]

[/quote]

I dont know about a jeep, but on the GTP, i removed the clips holding it on, and used brute strength to rip it off…

[quote=“Bigairskier1580,post:4,topic:28110"”]

[/quote]

i’m not sure either, i sold the jeep without making the fix. It’s a very common problem though. I’m sure if you call up a mopar dealership, the service compartment could give you an answer fairly quick, probably off the top of their head.

I tried tapping the knob in the interior with a hammer. No luck. Punched, kicked, no screaming though.

Wonder if that’s the key?

[quote=“Bigairskier1580,post:7,topic:28110"”]

I tried tapping the knob in the interior with a hammer. No luck. Punched, kicked, no screaming though.

Wonder if that’s the key?

[/quote]

it didn’t work for me, but somebody told me it works if they pull on the latch while punching to the right of the handle.

you may have to remove your rear seats…it would atleast make removing the panel easier i would assume. try a jeep forum you may find your answer with a search