Jeep Wrangler Rear Gate Hinges

It might be because my Jeep was repainted before I bought it (I think), but the rear gate is SUPER hard to swing open and closed.

SoopaFlySteve suggested it just needs to be adjusted, but I see no way to adjust the hinges.

Where can I go (online) to learn how these things are adjusted / taken apart, etc.?

they are probably rusted … they are aluminium and tend to corode pretty good, along with the window glass

adjusting the hinges isnt the best idea, because the shet metal underneith isnt painted, the rear door was hung at the factory, THEN painted

the bolts are also very hard to gt out, and most of the time you rip paint off the hinge in the process because the paint doesnt sheer @ the endge of the bolt, and t it also screws up the paint in the recess for the torx bit …

So what do I do?

PS - The Jeep is hardly rusty, if at all.

load them up with a ton of wd40, pull the spare tire off and swing the tailgate vigously

even if the outside doesnt show any corrosion, theres still probably plenty inside @ the pin, so you gotta work it realy good to free it up

how do the window hinges look ? any white corrosion showing on them ?

I’d have to check them out. I think they’re fine. The window opens pretty easily and the air-assisted supports (for lack of knowing some real name for them) hold it open just fine.

im pretty sure i didnt say they needed to be adjusted. there really isnt a way to ‘‘adjust them.’’ the pin may have rusted out which would be a good explanation. new stainless steel hinges arent expensive and are literally 4 bolts per hinge to replace, its a 30 min job max and you can do it with basic hand tools.

www.4wd.com has replacement hinges. very reputable online jeep parts company.