Jeep Cherokee Liftgate binding

I went to open my liftgate on my Jeep the other day and it opens about a foot and refuses to open anymore.

Any thoughts?

I know people have issues with the latch sticking but this is a hinge issue.

struts bad ???

Wouldnt that just not hold the gate up though? Is there anything in the channel, like a stick or screwdriver? Maybe the pin came out of the hinge if it’s rusty.

Its not the struts they’re working fine…

Its binding up top where the hinges would be

is it those retarded double style hinges they got on zj’s? is it possible the gate has tweaked sideways slightly?

IIRC if you remove the panel right below the hinges on the inside the hinge bolts should be accessible. Just loosen a bit and see if that helps than re tighten

I will try that today should be fun lol

Yes, check to see if there is anything in there before you start unbolting shit…

Same thing happened to my wife’s jeep. It is a bad strut but it feels like the fucking door wants to snap off. Hers went up about a foot and then was stuck. You just need to replace the strut that’s like $20.

Thats the exact issue im having.

Good deal I will check that out

rash of these at my friends shop… unbolt the struts, it’s an oddball torx driven ball stud. one customer broke one, and twisted the ish out of his hatch when the other was frozen.

The strut was rusty btw

if anyone else has this issue