Heads-Up Displays in Cars?

I’m not really a fan of them. Maybe that’s because they don’t really look great other than the new M5 hud. I really don’t want stuff in the way of my vision.

Then we have Pioneer developing this craziness that’s full color, laser and connects to your smart phone (looks like just Android?) … and plays video:

We had it in three Grand Prix GTPs and our 1st Acadia. When we first got it, both my wife and I figured we could just turn it off because we wouldn’t like it. Now we miss not having it. These were fairly simple displays though, not tons of information on them. I would be happy with just the speed being displayed down low on the windshield.

Not to be picky, but it’s head-up display, not heads-up. Can’t help it - even spelling mistakes jump out at me when I’m reading anything. I have issues. :smiley:

I like it.
My dads vette it is handy.

If it is something that takes longer than 1/2 second to understand then its not at all safe.

I think you’ll see more of them as they become more and more useful - placing your GPS and speed in your LOS would be fantastic. But it would be pretty simple to get information-overloaded, too

I don’t use mine too much during the day. But I like to turn the dash lights off and use HUD at night.

I have a HUD app on my droid but it is hard to see in day light.

i have tried several different apps on android that have a HUD option and dont really like them, they have to be set at the correct angle to see it clearly

Yeah, you almost need velcro or something. lol

My dad’s vette has it, it’s kinda cool to use.

Spent a bunch of time in e60’s on and off the track and I didn’t like it, or use it.

I don’t like them for GPS and stuff but I like having revs and speed right in my line of sight.

I don’t think I like it.

I do, however, like how the new civic has the speedo situated on the dash. The dashboard is super long (from front to rear) and the speedo is offset pretty far forward so it’s JUST outside the line of sight. It only takes a tiny glance to see it.

Also, how does dirty windshields or rainy days affect the performance of these?

Had it on my gtp, miss not having it in my jeep. You could adjust up/down and brightness. You could see right through it so it wasn’t a distraction. Rainy days, snowy days, or anytime it got darker out side made it brighter but that’s why you could adjust brightness.

Ive used a few of them and I really like the one in my mom’s new lacrosse. Speed, gear/RPM if you’re in manual mode, and if you’re using nav it shows the street name and direction when you’re approaching a turn.

thought it was dumb at 1st. but loved it in the gtp.

My windshield has the box for the HUD but my dash doesn’t hmm either way i tink its very cool. Defi had a nice setup that I wanted.