Helmet Attitudes

I’m so sick of everyone trying to be an expert and say how “dumb” it is to ride without one. I see 10x more morons riding with just a full-face helmet, and no other gear, than guys with proper gear minus the helmet.

Just this morning I saw some fag on a scooter, with flip-flips, shorts, a tank-top and a full-face helmet.

I know people feel like they are safer with a helmet, but if that kid goes down he’ll have very little skin left, likely a broken foot at best, and some mangled arms, but at least his head will be ok.

I hear so many people preaching about helmets, but it’s only people that actually ride themselves that seem know anything about all the other riding gear.

…end rant

Loud pipes save lives…not helmets

i seen some kid on a honda davidson leave the mall the other day. polo shirt, shorts ,flip flops no helmet, but he had some really cool sunglasses on.

If I’m on my street bike…jeans, boots, leather jacket and helmet. I have gone with just a long sleeve shirt, but usually don’t.

I won’t take my dirt bike out without all of my gear either. Just feel naked without it.

Is honda davidson a slang term for a honda cruiser?

i always wear jeans and boots when i ride. everytime i see someone wearing flip flops i cringe thinking how bad that is gonaa hurt if they dump the bike.

no, its the slang term for people that have non harly bikes but put the loud pipes on them and take the stickers off so people think its a harley. when in turn its a cheaper,faster more reliably bike.

I wear short sleves, work pants, boots, and what ever helmet.

You only get one life, so if you value it…I recommend that everyone wear the most amount of gear available.

But, if you wanna ride in flip-flops, be prepared for me to point and laugh :slight_smile:

I wore jeans, boots, leather jacket & full face. But to be honest even regular jeans wouldn’t do much, maybe a few seconds of sliding before they’re torn through. Luckily I never had to find out. I would have been much more comfortable with those Kevlar woven jeans and a better jacket with some armor. If I didn’t have a family my attitude would probably be different though.

I used to wear the skull cap and not worry too much about crashing. Then, last year I dumped my bike and hit a pickup. Luckily, it was cold that morning, so I wore the full face and jacket, etc.

I almost lost my foot. Still limp a lot. Multiple compound fractures, plates and screws, blah, blah blah. With all the gear, I had no road rash or any other damage.

Just started riding again. And I am wearing the full face and jacket all the time.

i sometimes take the bike (cruiser), to the gas station or store 1-2 miles in shorts or tennis shoes, If I plan a ride to work or high way I will wear a helemt if its around and i can find it, problem everyone tries to say “wear a helmet save your life” ok I agree to A point. Meaning there are way to many varibles to justfiy that a helmet is good to wear or those case’s where ppl say it could kill you. I agree if hit I fell off the bike that helmet will protect my skull from crushing off the ground, but if I am going 35-45-55 in i get hit and flop twist turn head plant into something I would think your good as dead. I dont Im sure there are more of a chance of being able to survive a good crash with one on but to each is own. I am guilty of not wearing, but there where close encounters where a helmet did nothing, I would say if ppl wanted to say something how about ppl in cars respect the rds alittle better. Not saying they are 100% the cause of it all, but the majority is carelessness on the auto driver, or disrespect for the littler piece of steel on the rd.

I dont know!

In the hopital, they told me it was rare for them to have a patient from a moving motorcycle accident. 90% of the time, the bikes are stopped at a light or stop sign. And the cars simply don’t see them and run right into the bikes.

Keep an eye on your rear view…

loud pipes don’t save lives, not riding or driving like an asshole goes a little further than a loud ass annoyance. if loud pipes save lives then that shit should be legal on cars too.

funny thing about helmet laws, look who mainly rides without a helmet!! not hte younger crowd but the older crowd that told their kids to wear helmets when riding a bicycle. just take into observation next time. sure lot of young people ride without one but also a lot more older people ride without helmet

they stakes are high when you ride a bike. you could roller blade without knee pads and a helmet and fall and scrape ur knee. u could fall on a bike and leave ur knee a mile back. i don’t think there is a person riding who doesn’t understand the consequenses so they should equip themselves however they see fit. just because a person who wrecks without a helmet and leaves their brain on the parkway deserves it for not wearin one, it just means they knew that was a consequence and the odds beat them.

sealtbelts should be optional for any driver over 18, passengers should be required to wear them by that persons inssurance.

I have a cbr 600rr and i wear a full face, jacket, gloves, pants, and some Dc’s or etnies.

My problem is the fifteen million people that ask me now “do you wear a helmet?” ever since that stupid football player got nailed people have been up my ass on wearing my helmet. And just preaching to me… same bullshit as above.

Listen, unless I popped out of your uterus, don’t tell me what to do! :finger:

I am getting to the point where I enjoy pissing people off about the helmet question, since it’s so common.

If it’s a person I find annoying, I just shrug my shoulders and grin when they ask if I wear a helmet, then they get all pissy, and I laugh.

Yeah, I agree with the below post. My whole point was that helmets get all the attention, and tons of douchebags wear helmets…and nothing else. And to me, the rest of the gear is more important. If you go down in shorts and sandals, your legs will be destroyed.

The helmet may or may not save your life, the pants, jacket, and gloves are guaranteed to save you a lot of pain, and shorten your recovery time. But in the end, just like you said SightN Sound, it is personal choice.

Personal choice. Leave it at that.

I do both. Depending on the situation. When its my time its my time and quite frankly from seeing this shit day in and day out, just because you have a helmet doesn’t mean you will survive just like seatbelts.

Now the flip flop, shorts thing, thats a bit stupid. I wore shorts once. and it was dropping Jenn’s bike off to her down the road when it was getting transfered to her name. Other than that I am in jeans and a jacket.

I wear my puma’s, long pants, a jacket, and my helmet… My bike needs to be 10 times louder…

X2

Loud pipes are for attention whores trying to get any woman to ride the little dick that they’re compensating for by riding a V-twin for in the first place.