Helmet Talk

What helmet are you using?

What helmet offers the best value with all the appropriate safety features one would need in a helmet for regular track duty, but not door to door competition?

Arai GP-5

All I have to say is wear one of those and you will never ever put anything else on your melon again.

ICON-the only brand i buy for helmets

bing, I picked up a decent helmet at bicknell racing. 100$ it is DOT and Snell approved, they come in black and white. Ive never heard of the company before but it is made by VEGA.

I have heard good things about arai’s helmets, but i have also heard that they are quite pricey. Is that true? i was actually gonna start looking into a helmet myself…

CT had a couple on sale in peterborough i got one cant remember the name ill have to go dig it out of the garage $200 come in black with clear face shield and vents i like it never gets to hot and i`m a big guy and it fits nicely

that’s the helmet for CT it`s pretty nice

i have one of those fuel helmets from ct. fits great works mint.

I would hope so, for $1200… Ouch.

Woah, I didn’t know CT sold Bell racing products.

^there actually really good bang for your buck i don`t regret it

Bell Racing, is a good company, I just wasn’t aware they were sold at CT.

As long as the helmet is SNELL approved then the rest of the name branding is just baller status…

^ I didn’t see any SNELL or DOT logos on the CT page, and it wasnt mentioned on the page that they were approved by them either for the Bell helmet…

*EDIT: if you scroll down the page, it reccomends another Bell helmet: http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524443288987&FOLDER<>folder_id=1408474396672496&bmUID=1233099700671&OmniCrossSell=0874996%20Bell+Zephyr+Full-Face+Snowmobile+Helmet

This one is DOT approved. Same price too.

I got the fuel racing helmet from canadian tire and it was $99.00. It is dot approved but I did not see snell anywhere. It should say in clear view right? what does snell mean or stand for?

there actually pretty much the same thing just 2 different companys standards to test helmets, as far as i remember either or makes it legal for road use. most brand name helmets are both DOT and SNELL

http://www.smf.org/standards/2005/sak2005/sa_k2005_final.html

Is what SNELL means…

It is another rating standard like DOT but with much higher requirements.

With a DOT helmet, you’ll survive… but you might end up looking a little… lopsided
With a SNELL helmet you’ll survive and be just as ugly as you were before you put the helmet on. :stuck_out_tongue:

what ever you buy just make sure it has the latest dot/snell rating. the ratings are always updated and various motorsports series change the requirements as well to keep up with the updates. decide what kind of MS you are gonna run and check there rule book for there minimum requirements.

peace

It says on the box DOT FMVSS N.218 approved. No where do i see snell. I gues it isn’t then?

I totally agree. I put on one of the lower end models someone brought into work, amazing. The thing I love about the GP5 PED is it’s wide-eye-port view, and slim visor design. The helmet is very simple, meets ALL standards, BUT is unbelievably pricey.

I must say though, on this helmet, and other Arai helmets, I really can’t justify spending $1200 on a helmet, when you can get a very very nice Impact or Simpson/Bell for like… less than half the price.

I do looooove the GP5 though, and want one super badly.

The Impact ‘Charger’ is what i’ll most likely be going with as its more in my budget…