Help Help - Sr20 Overheating!

I need some serious help here…I’m not extremely familiar with this engine and I’m not rich by any measure to throw money blindly at a problem…but I need it fixed asap :frowning:

So one day I get to my friend’s house for parts. When I was driving there I started smelling burning coolant and saw my temp was almost maxed. I got the car to his house and popped the hood.

My coolant resevoir was boiling like a kettle, had a small oil leak from the overheat, but man was the car hot/smokin coolant. Also noticed that my radiatior fan was indefinitely not working

We put some more oil in the car, filled the rad with water (had no coolant at the time, started her up and she was ok for about 3/4 of the way back from pickering to ajax…then the temp shot up again.

Noticed also odd behavior from this issue,
-my idle was no longer below 1000rpm from ignition: it’d go to about 2000 and THEN drop
-when I drove home and it’d get hot, all ofa sudden I’d see it drop down 2-3 ticks on my temp, then go up again
-I drove it a small distance after left on a cold night, things were fine and then the temp increase wasn’t gradual at all. it was like BAM half way suddenly
-now the car is having a hard time going thru it’s ignition, which I never had an issue with

PLEASE I beg of help from anyone relatively close to Ajax (I can’t take the car for a great distance)

Thanks to anyone for reading

if it is over heating on the high way

id say its ur thermostat

it overheats anywhere.
i know if I were on the highway and it weren’t overheating then, ya it’s cuz of cold air…but I didn’t see anything serious on the highway…didn’t notice the issue was present until after the highway

are you loosing coolant? after a drive ? check for leaks

what colour is the smoke comming from the tail pipe?

peace

Could be a few things, first thing that comes to mind is Air pockets in the cooling system, If nothing has changed then it could mean more serouse issues.

get the fan to work

yeah the fan is on some shitty Ford relay part in my fusebox (no longer works)

no coolant leaks, and no oil mixing in with the coolant.
the only leak is a small temporary oil leak from overheating.

exhaust is regular…not white

car is having a hard time turning over at ignition now too.
oil has been replaced (used premium penzoil synthetic 5w)

Oh my god, say it is the head that’s warped…how much would I be looking at for a repair?

Or, better question, where’s the best place for me to take the car?

Like I said, I’m so hurtin for money, but this car is my baby…I’m really stuck between a rock and a hard place and it’s either shit or get of the pot.

And I’m not prepared to scrap the car AT ALL :’(

I don’t have CAA and my regular tow guy is on vacation…

I really need help in the worst way :C

how much do you want for it?! :slight_smile:

…not phunny

(more than you can afford :P)

if you know the fans are fukd stop being cheap and lazy and fix the damn thing.
change your thermostat…
bleed the system…

i had the same problem awhile back because my fan was not working properly, coolant on the reservoir starts to boil after a short period of time and my water temp goes all the way up to max. i remember driving my car home one night with the heat full blast to prevent the car from overheating (it worked!). i had the fan replaced and it was running good for about 5 months, and noticed it started happening all over again. the next day i bought my self a koyo rad and new termostat and everything worked fine. never had any overheating problems what so ever.

if it is overheating like that, you should check your fan if its fully working. if that doesn’t work, then you should get a brand new thermostat. you can also get your self a stock clutch fans. they’re pretty damn reliable.

i agree. if you don’t act on this as soon as possible, if will cost you a lot more later, a crap load of repairs or an engine, serious! take your car to Tony’s Andrew mortors shop in scarborough, he’ll take care of you. just explain him your situation. peace.

It’s not a matter of being cheap or lazy…I have no way to get around and if I knew for sure that was the only issue it’d been taken care of days ago.

I’m not risking driving the car obviously, but I managed to pull some strings today and it’ll be checked in on Monday. Worst case scenario is that it’s a warped head and I can deal with that. The fans will be first to be dealt with and we’ll see where to go from there. At the moment the fan was never connected to a relay or thermal sensor (bullshit job) and go to some crap-ass Ford part in my fusebox.

I heard about that one too…great lil trick…too bad I have no heater core, or assembly box

Yeah I’ve previously had a chance to speak with him. I ended up going with my tow truck guy’s buddy, and he’s giving me a solid deal (same rate as the tow guy) and he’s been around for 32 years and knows 240s and their SRs pretty good…for a rebuild it’d be about $1200 he said max, plus he got me another really good deal on the tow (ajax - kennedy for $150)

Anyways, by Monday she’ll be on the way to the shop crosses his fingers

Yeah I’ve previously had a chance to speak with him. I ended up going with my tow truck guy’s buddy, and he’s giving me a solid deal (same rate as the tow guy) and he’s been around for 32 years and knows 240s and their SRs pretty good…for a rebuild it’d be about $1200 he said max, plus he got me another really good deal on the tow (ajax - kennedy for $150)

Anyways, by Monday she’ll be on the way to the shop crosses his fingers[/QUOTE]

good luck man. good thing you decided to take it to Tony, he’s awesome at 240’s and know’s it well.

Oh it’s not Tony that I’m going to. Probably will later for my Type-X cluster and electrical, but this guy’s name is Ray @ 2933 Kennedy Rd; he’s a buddy of my tow truck bud, Joe.

Currently trying to get Mitchell1 OnDemand5 2008 and a GM Tech 2 for him, but we’re working some things out.

I was told of Tony when I brought my car to majestic muffler for my catcon. I will for sure check him out tho :wink:

sigh winter’s coming up…hope the repairs can be done and that I can have at least a bit of drivetime before she goes into hibernation :stuck_out_tongue:

sure its not your water pump… thats like one of the most common things to go on an SR…

but if you are gonna risk drivin it… turn your boost as low as you can go.

i have a sr clutch fan if you need one…best/most reliable fan.