help! ignition short

hey guys, i have a short somewhere that sometimes allows me to turn on the car and sometimes it doesn’t. its really wierd. sorry its a 1989 240sx coupe. no engine swap, factory motor.

when it first shorted it out the black/white wire on the iginition key cylinder melted off the solder. i solder it back up and it worked, however, sometimes it shorts again and i can’t start the car. i wait a bit and viola i can start her up again. oh yeah the 30amp ignition fuse keeps blowing no matter what.

i have a couple of questions.

1. can the ignition relay be a problem causing the short.
  2. can an aftermarket head unit cause this problem.
  3. where does the ignition wire run though, i mean everything, i’m debating about running a new wire for the ignition, yes or no?

thanks guys, i really need to fix this situtation.

check for shortages in the same line as where you soldered

yeah but where does it go??
i mean that doesn’t help much as i can see it only there, but i have no idea where it routes too
is there a wire diagram for this?

its working fine now. so far. but i’m afraid to drive it far just in case i get a short and get stranded. some more help is appriciated.

follow the wires

I have a feeling its your lock/cylinder itself that may be shorting. When i take my key out the car remains running(turbo timer) and then i lock/arm the car and after the pre set time the car shuts off. however a few times when i took the key out the 1st day i had the alarm installed the starter kept engaging when i took the key out. The starter fried the 3rd time it happened. What was happening is theres still 12v going threw the ignition solinoid and sumhow in the lock/solinoid with the key in the off position was giving the starter wire power engaging my starter while the car was running…this never happened before because the car would shut off when i removed the key…Im just thinking the lock/solinoid is boinked internally. Internally it was falling apart…i choose to install a push button start instead of replacing the lock/cyl. Chances are if it shorted out and fried the wire off the ignition lock/cyl thats where your problem is. I dont see how u can tell if its messed up…but jiggle the key around in the ignition…does it have a lot of play…?

umm…no real play or anything. its pretty firm. as in i can stick it in pretty firmly. hmm…is there a way to bypass the clyinder to see if it actually works.

Hotwire the car. there are two starter wires cant rem the colours but just pass 12V onto those wires as well as the ACC wire. U cant go anywhere tho…damn steering lock :stuck_out_tongue: that will basicly just get you past the lock/cyl.