HELP: Rear tires punctured...need to replace...size recommendation?

hi guys!

Yesterday, on my way to pick up my bicycle on Berts…I noticed my rear tires (both on rear) are punctured…i even have to borrow their foot pump in order to go back home…

this morning when i checked it, the tire (rear passenger) is fully deflated…problem is, both rear tires got only 2/32 left…so i don’t think it’s a good idea to fix it anymore…

so, my question is…as you probably know, i got 2002 Civic which OEM size is 195/60/15…

i’ve done some research…and some people said that for better traction and handling…i should go to either 205/60/15…or 205/50/15…problem is, how do these tires looks like in my car which got no drop at all…?

my choice of tire, in this case will be Falken Ziex-512…which is probably the cheapest to get with PM in Sears Auto from Vulcantire.com

now…what size of tire do you guys recommend for my new tires…? I don’t really race my car…but you can classify me as ‘spirited up’ driver…lol

thank you!

-cal

EDIT: My plan is to change all 4 of em…even though the front still good…lol…anybody want em? they’re Potenza RE-92…

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

thanx man for the site…

yea, i’ve check out the tire calc also in my car’s forum…it’s gonna be 4.7% faster…

well, should be ok i guess…lol

what im curious most is how my stock 2004 civic alloy will handle the 205 size tires…hm…

really need help…i might have to order em from sears…

im confused…don’t really wanna use 195/60…cos’ it’s so stock and donut like…

but…will 205/50 fit 15x6 stock 04 civic alloy?

They will probably fit fine, perhaps bulge a little bit, but IMO it will look a lot better, and since you don’t “race around” percey I don’t see it having any issues.

are you getting all 4? or just 2… or just one…

Cause you’re confusing me -

You say that your rear TIRES are punctured…

but other times (like in the title) you say “Tire”…

^lol…sorry for the confusion, Howie…i’ve edited the post… :slight_smile:

but yea…i’m planning to change all 4 of em…both rear tires got nail on em…but the passenger side is worse…and now its fully deflated on my driveway…lol

anywho…205/60 will definitely look bulky…im curious whether 205/50 will look real bulky on my wheels…

to say that im lookin for performance, i doubt that 205 will have that big of difference…but…i believe, traction wise, it should be better, right? hehe…

oh, btw…after i change the tires…the front two still got lots of thread…it’s 195/60/15 stock potenza re92

if any of u want em…i’ll ask sears to give it back to me…

fyi, it’ll be free, of coarse…

Take them back from sears - 2 tires are always good to have around…

If you go wider (195-205) and you want the sidewall to stay the same size, you go lower

so 195 60 R15 = 205 55ish R15

I would go 205 50 R15

205 = width of tread

50 (or any number here) = sidewall height - percentage of the width of the tire

R15 (or any number here) = size of rim

So in short, 235 50 R16 are going to have pretty much the same sidewall as a 215 55 R16… and so on so forth…

hmmm…icicic…

now, i also heard that 205/50 is better for autox…well, wonder whether i really should spend extra $ for it…if normal road driving is my only concern…

duh! i just called sears…problem is, they don’t have 205/50/15 on any brand ON-STOCK…well2…i need to wait 5-7 days for it…now, this is a problem.

the only thing they got…is 195/50/15…which probably only good for look?

what do you guys think?

A wider tire is going to give you more contact to the pavement.

A stiffer sidewall (usually caused by a smaller one, and also dependant of which tire you go with) will USUALLY lead to “better” or stiffer cornering, due to less sidewall flex which = less weight transfer.

Kinda like, a mini suspension setup.

I would look elsewhere for tires, I’m sure there are other places around here that stock other tires in the similar price range…

Call mike a innovative tuning, he has a buttload of tires too. And if he doesn’t have it, he can get them…

you can even go 205/45… btw