Looking for tires

Ok, before I start anything, nobody flame my ass 'cause I’ve done online research before this, and I haven’t found any stores close enough for me to want to drive to…

I’m looking for Falken Ziex ZE-512 Tires, 215/60/15’s, but i haven’t really been having any luck with “local” stores. anyone here have recommended tire stores in the GTA that would probably be selling tires like this?

Hi Chris,

First off (if this is for your S13), I think you would be much better off with a 205/55 or 205/60. 215/60 is going to have a bigger sloppy sidewall, and throw off your speedo. Stock sizes are 195/60 and 205/60 as I’m sure you know. If you want wider, go for a 225/50, but you’ll need a 7"+ wheel.

Your best bet for buying the tires is going to be Tiretrends.com. A set of 4 in 205/60 will cost you $350 to your door. 215/60 will cost you $370.

Even if you can find a place to price match in the GTA, you will still be charged GST and PST. However, I would talk to Greg (GT) and see what he can do for you.

Thanks for the reply,

The reason I was going for 215/60 is because I wanted a tire that’s a little wider, but I don’t want that “low-profile” look, 'cuase it looks like crap on a 15" rim. My next choice was 205/60 or 215/55

Problem for me with online ordering is that I want these tires asap, and if I have to have them shipped from BC it’ll take at least a week, knowing today is friday.

www.tires23.com (in Mississauga)

I havn’t bought tires from them but when I spoke to their sales guy about some Falkens the price was unbeatable.

Great service too from the little experience that I did have with them.

you don’t like the es 100s?? :frowning:

too bad your looking for 15"

i got the falken 512 in 205/50/16

40% tread

i got a pair. oh well =(

course i do. but with nice tires like that up front, i feel like i’m gonna need nice tires out back too. heh.

P.I. has really good pricing on Falken tires.

just read a couple of reviews on these tires and apparently they’re pretty shitty. Go figure for $70/tire. Now I’m looking into Yokohama Avid H4S for the back.

Thanks for all your replies guys.

I wouldn’t call them shitty… I had 205/55r15’s all around and they worked great for the price. They got a bit slimey after doing some serious abuse to them in hot weather, but never let me down any other time (including doing ‘the hill’ in Ottawa)

The 512s are decent for the price, but the drawback is that they’re all seasons. So are the H4Ss you’re looking at. H4s are meant for touring sedans, not sports cars… you will get better performance from the 512s than the H4/V4s, they just won’t be as quiet.

i think ive read before u can go as big as 225/60R15, or it was 225/50R15, before it messes with ur speedo…maybe im wrong, but ive read it somewhere on this board before…but its a crappy search function here so i couldnt find it

correct me if im wrong

These tires are gonna be for the rear. I’m pretty big on treadwear since i don’t wanna kill off a brand new pair of tires in 2 months. I’ve read that the yoko’s do way better in that sense. i don’t wanna feel like shit every time i slide on impulse, thinking i just killed off half of my tires’ life. i’m not looking for anything ultra high performance, just something that i can cruise on, but still have a bit of an aggressive feel to them.

i think ive read before u can go as big as 225/60R15, or it was 225/50R15, before it messes with ur speedo…maybe im wrong, but ive read it somewhere on this board before…but its a crappy search function here so i couldnt find it

correct me if im wrong[/quote]

Sorry, but you’re wrong. That size will make your speedo off by 6%. The number related to sidewall is a percentage of the tread width. 225/60 is taller than 215/60 which is taller than 205/60.

The tires will physically fit on the car (in the back), but increasing the sidewall significantly decreases response and feel. It affects turn in and wieght transfer… a big sidewall is just sloppy and a bad idea. I highly doubt you would notice a difference between a 205 and a 215, but I can gaurantee you you’ll notice a difference between a 205/55 aan a 215/60 in terms of sidewall flex.

go with 205 if your rims are 7" or less. 215 would be the max limit and might give you a sloppy steering response since theres too much rubber and not enuff rim.

and i agree with going on 50 sidewall.

why not go with the hankook K105? i think they are 450 treadwear, H or W rated, i forgot.

cheap too.

You’re gonna hate me for this, but they’re not JDM enough. LOL