Help truck won't stop pinging

my 94 f-350 with a 351 windsor won’t stop pinging it pings with anything over half throttle.

I thought I had it fixed when I replaced the egr position sensor but it started again today when I was towing my trailer after two weeks of working. Yes I tried it without the trailer and it still pings.

The egr valve works, I replaced the egr position sensor, and the egr solenoid both of which were bad.

I still tend to think it is egr related but I am not 100 percent sure. I also seafoamed it and it didn’t help.

Any suggestsions, I don’t want to have to give up and take it to a mechanic.

time it and put in better fuel

the base timing is set 1 degree retarded from factory and it has 93 plus two bottles of octane boost in it.

the timing is computer advance, and the advance is working, it doesn’t however have a knock sensory.

If I take the spout wire off that disables the ecu advance it still pings

sure it’s not a miss? or something like a restricted exhaust

I doubt it’s EGR related. I completely removed the EGR on my 5.0L Mustang and had no detonation issues. Some suggestions:

-It might have ALOT of carbon build up. Try another SeaFoam treatment.
-How is your MAF sensor? This plays a major role in your ECU setting fuel requirements. When mine went bad in my old Mustang I was pinging like crazy and way down on power. When I replaced it the difference was amazing. You can try cleaning it too- use brake cleaner to clean the exposed wire in the intake tube. Do NOT use anything but brake cleaner or forced air.
-Getting enough fuel? I’d check your fuel pressure at the rails. Maybe your pump is giving up or the filter is clogged? Maybe try a fuel system cleaner- your injectors could be gunked up too.
-How is your IAT sensor? This also plays a large role in Ford EFI systems in determining fuel requirements based on incoming air temperature/density. I believe it’s cheap to replace- might be worth looking at.

The MAF would be the first place I’d look honestly. I know they go south on 5.0L Mustangs all the time and usually cause tons of pinging.

If all else fails try running spark plugs that are one heat range colder than stock. Good luck and let us know what happens.

NEVER use octane boost, do you know what that stuff is?

its a flame retardant… higher octane fuel burns slower than lower octane fuel… octane booster tries to mimic the effects by retarding the flame so it will burn slower

pull more timing out.

ok, the IAT is working properly, it is speed density so it doesn’t have a maf.

If I unplug the map sensor the CEL comes on but it doesn’t ping, it pings as soon as I plug it back in. I replaced the map sensor since I don’t have the tool to check it since it modulates frequency and it pings with the new map sensor.

I would assume since it doesn’t ping with the map unplugged that it wouldn’t be carbon or fuel pressure since neither of those changes.

I also assume it isn’t timing related since if I take the spout jumper off eliminating any ecu advance it still pings.

hey swarz crc makes a aerosol MAF cleaner you can buy in any auto parts store

you sure its detonating? you hear this just at idle when you unplug and plug the map in?? sounds like its something else…

no it is under acceleration and load, with the map unplugged it doesn’t do it under acceleration but the cel does come on. with it plugged back in it does it under acceleration. it doesn’t do it at idle or when revved. IT only does it past probably half throttle.

I am 99 percent sure it is pinging

if its in limp mode, there is no ignition advance… so that would explain some of it

how do the plugs look?

I can pull a jumper and disable the ignition advance, and it still pings with the advance disabled.

Plugs

It’s not uncommon to buy a “bad” sensor at the autoparts store, or “bad” any electronic part for that matter (I went through THREE brand new ICMs for my wife’s Mustang before I finally got one that worked). I’m thinking maybe the MAP you bought is bad too? Symptoms sure are there.

Do you have the right heat range spark plugs in it?

that bottom right plug looks fouled… maybe its mis-firing on that cylinder?

is that fuel or oil on that bottom right?

here’s my wild guess… its a leaky injector, fuel fouling that plug… ecu sees that extra fuel and leans the motor out (hence the rest of the plugs are clean as a whistle), so the lean condition causes the detonation. …no?

That makes a alot of sense. Disconnect the injector harness for that cylinder and take it for a spin? LOL

Any update?

finally got it fixed.

Turns out it wasn’t pinging, the catalytic converter was clogged. Best I can tell what was happening was that the pressure built up enough in the exhaust that it pushed exhaust back up through the smog pump lines and the pressure being pushed out some kind of pressure blow off on the smog pump bypass valve made a noise that sounded like pinging. this only made enough pressure to do this under a decent amount of throttle.

runs great now that the clog has been removed, and a whole lot more power. guess that explains why all the things you would do to get rid of pinging did nothing to get rid of this.

i declare myself winner