HID's and relays Q **attn LAYZIE**

lol he makes them look oem, and for 700 dollars a piece for my headlights id rather trust someone who has done a ton of retros.

I dont know if this helps but this is the setup I did with for my Evo IX GSR.

I wanted HIDs but only the Evo MR came with them; so I decided to buy MR head lamps (built in projectors). I also bought the OEM ballasts.

I didn’t want to waste time installing relays because they weren’t needed in the first place. According to my calculations the ballast needed no more than 4.5 amps to run. I changed out the stock 20 amp fuse with a 10 amp fuse so the stock wiring harness would be safe, even with initial starting. Only problem I ran into was having to cut the 6 pin connector from the ballasts and the 4 pin connector from the wiring harness, then having to figure out what wire was what. Haven’t had a problem for well over a year. Hope this helps a little.

Another quick Q.

If I make a f/g housing for the lights, are their any heat concerns? I imagine not since the projecter keeps the the bulb in it’s own little area. I’ve been searching some mockups but still want to ask some questions before I dive into this. I’m trying to plan this as properly as possible before even bothering to start down the wrong path.

no heat concerns…HID bulbs run cooler than incandescent. Your stock bulbs are probably 55watt or higher…D1S D2S D1R and D2R should be 35watts. Plus the bulb is going to be inside the projector housing so really no worries.

Ok after more searching around. I’m seeing that most projectors are pretty much self contained and protected from the elements. Mine however, are not, there is basically a “frame” holding the lens out in front of the bulb which leaves it in the open. (since on the MB the whole housing was contained)

I may not have the luxury of space to be able to make the entire housing self contained. So has anyone seen someone make a casing for just the projector?

Kind of an odd question, and i’m sure I can make something, but it doesn’t hurt to see if it’s been done and find things to avoid.

if you go back and click on picture of the wiring harness i posted on the first page it will take you to my album. i actually used aluminum flashing and wrapped it around.

hmm. But that won’t waterproof them. Perhaps I’ll use a shroud to try and seal the bulb side, and build a simple compartment for the back to protect it, but not necessarily waterproof it. (it seems sealed otherwise)

y do they need to be waterproofed?? post a pic of what they are going into. are you not gonna have a lens on your headlights?

I don’t have a large housing that these will be fitting inside. It’s normally a 4x6 sealed beam halogen. So i’m making a lens, then it at least has to be waterproof around the bulb since I can’t imagine it can get water on it while it’s working.

if you have enough room behind your housing you should try an idea like this guy is doing fort he sti headlights. epoxy a pvc pipe in then get a rubber caplug and strap it down.

^^ that’s exactly what I needed to see, thanks man :tup: