HID Kits

Anyone have a good place to get them? I have seen kits anywhere from $30 (lol) to over a grand and trying to find the right medium of quality and price.

I already have projector headlights so I just need the HID conversion kit right with the bulb and ballast? Also, how much wiring is involved? With a lack of tools and a place to work on the car, would it be easier to find a shop to put them in and run the wires properly?

to do it properly you will need to put in projectors that are made for hid lights or else you will get pretty bad glare

and ebay hid kits usually sell as plug and play, so you buy it, bolt in brackets for the ballast, plug that into the headglight harness, plug bulbs into the headlight and your done

the correct way is to run a relay for the lights because they usually draw more power than the stockers and can cause some electrical problems

Ok that was going to be my next questions. The kid I was looking at is here: http://www.xenonhidworlds.com/HID-Conversion-Kit-For-Mazda-3_16133.html

It has the option for the relay which I was wondering if that is required or what it was for.

I will look around for someone with the projectors for their HID headlights in the 3 and see. Thanks for the tips.

I know the CTS-V guys like http://www.ddmtuning.com/ with the slim ballast when they do the fog light conversion

http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/DDM_35W_55W_Slim_Ballast_HID_Kit-101-60.html

I want HID using my stock lights. The only projectors I see for the focus are on ebay and they look like shit. Madza 3 forums must have a how to.

The best way to do it is to get all the pieces and retrofit your own kit. You’ll need projectors, bulbs, ballasts, and ignitors. Some ballasts have the ignitors built in. You mount the projector in your existing light housing, then to dress it up and make it pretty you’ll need to find a shroud that fits over the projector but inside your housing. If your car has separate low and high beams, it makes it easier because you can get a single beam projector like from a TSX. If your car has its low and high beam from the same bulb you’ll need a bi-xenon projector. This has a relay that moves a shield to change the beam pattern. An example would be the projector from the E55.

Check out hidplanet for examples of retrofits.

i got mine from hidguy.net plug and play w/ the hi/lo beams

MPD47 should have some good suggestions for you. PM him or point him to this thread.

Thats what I was looking for. How long have you had them? Quality product or are they on the cheaper side?

I think I am going to see how they look in the projectors I have and see how bad the glare is.

I went to a small customs place on military in tonawanda and had a HID kit for 299.99 and then for another $100 they would install it.

they seem pretty good quality i put them in, in oct. but the car got put away shortly after, but ive had them in all spring w/ no issues so far. for the hi/lo conversion is like 160 i think

you can find them as cheap as 50 if you want, i know a couple friends did a group buy for 70 or something like that and they all like them so far

ddm and don’t bother “upgrading” your projector… you’ll be just fine. sure it would be better, but not needed.

my depo headlights are not designed for HIDs and they’re just fine.

Thanks

I know a couple people who bought theirs randomly on Ebay some say they loved them, others had the ballast burn out in a few months. Just trying to find a happy medium of quality between the $30 special in an Ebay store and the $599 ones I found on some websites. Lol. I think between $100 and $200 is where I am going to focus.

Good to hear. Will keep the stock projector in unless its just awful quality and then look at a upgrade.

Do they connect right to the existing headlight wire or will I need to run a new power line and other wires?

There should be plenty of plug and play kits available for your plug socket size.

some brands are better than others, but they should be plug and play with DDM, then just find a place to mount the ballast.

Awesome. Then I can probably do this myself in the parking lot with the right tools and not need to go to a shop.

Thanks!

oh btw i didnt upgrade my headlights i just used the stock ones

this?

if so then that does count as a-hole move… obviously not a good choice for an HID even with hi/low that will splash everywhere.

Don’t you end up blinding everyone tho?

Also, I looked for the OEM bulbs for my car and I am pretty sure they are size H7. I also think I have a high bulb and a low bulb. Is having two bulbs going to change what type of kit I can buy?

You weren’t the guy trying to race my half runinng e30 on nfb were you…? about 2 weeks ago…