higher egts with different gas stations

i got some sunoco 93 the other day and my egts went from 1450 with get go 93 to 1600+ yikes…

any thoughts. someone said maybe the get go is lower octane since lower octane burns faster.

Different gas burns at diff. rates. Use what it was tuned for.

1600 is melting stage

wher eis your egt probe mounted? is this on a turbo or n/a car?

most engine will make peak power w/ air fuel ratios of 12-1 to 13.5 to 1, which equates out to 1200 to 1800 degrees on an egt gauge. peak egt is found at 14.7 to 1 gas to a/f, or stoich. if you are leaner or richer than 14.7, it will go down.
same token, if i had an engine w/ 14-1 compression ratio, and lets say it was tuned to a safe 12.0-1 a/f. i decide i dont want to be all motor any more, i wanna go turbo. so drop the compression down to 9-1 and retune for 12-1 a/f. only thing i change is compression ratio of the engine. this alone will make the car’s egt’s read lower.

HOWEVER-- i would think sunocco 93 is a better gas than get-go. and to confirm this, detonation will cause egt’s to DROP! so your bunk get go gas could have kept you at 1450. This is a result of detonating. the better gas–sunocco 93, was not detonating. Hence, the egts were up.

i would run at 1600 degrees at wot in my old setup, never once melted anything. so dont be alarmed at high temps alone. did the car feel smooth or feel like it pulled harder?

yeah, if you have time-- 11 page paper on this topic-- detonation/preignition and role of egt. worth a read.

http://www.contactmagazine.com/Issue54/EngineBasics.html

yeah i got the probe in my #4 runner about 2 inches from the head, right where the dodge forums suggest. 1500 is a normal temp for these dumb single cam 8 valve turbo cars. i have a lame a/f guage but know not to trust it, just for reference and curiosity, its nice and rich on it, like next to last light. i ran it 1600+ most of last yr and had to change like 5 headgaskets but didn’t have money to up the fuel at the time. it pulls nice, i pulled on my buddies lt1 camaro the other night and pretty good on a 99+ mustang gt. i know it has to be running lean do to my managment method, total afro engineering, just thought it was odd to get such a jump between 2 different gases.

of heard alot of cars running like shit on Get Go

makes sence but i think his car was the other way around it was a 1600 with getgo and 1450 on sunoco

no he was right. 1450 with get go 93
1600+ sunoco 93

Nice Article

think i figured it out. had a pretty bad exhaust leak develop at the mani to turbo. fixed that and reset my ecu and was running awsome @ 20psi @ 1450 again for like 10 miles then blew off intercooler pipe, fixed it and next pull egts went 1650+. thinking its do to knock sensor activity and it reatrding timing. im gonna reset the ecu today and see what happens.

look into stuff the late gus mahone (sp?) did w/ turbo dodges. him and a klaus guy. both of them had egt readings for their setups. gus went w/ low compression pump gas big turbo, klaus guy went w/ stock compression, race gas and alot fo boost. both of them were in the 1500-1600 range iirc. read about it while researching auto trannys.

i reset it and it seems to work. now i just have to figure out what is tripping the sensor(if its really knock) im gonna try to retard timing 2 degrees and see what happens to egts. im on all the turbo dodge forums and no one seems to help, if you don’t do things their way all they do is bash you without even having experience with it themselves.