Holiday Office Parties Canned..

Is this happening to anyone else on here?

I received notice at our quarterly town hall meeting that we would not be having a holiday party at all due to the economic crisis, and in the wake of the people who lost their jobs it would not be appropriate.

I work for one of the largest corporate banks in the world. Last year, and in previous years we usually have a blowout at Adam’s Mark with ice sculptures, at least 10 open bars, and food, with dancing and the whole nine…

Then they give out door prizes that are usually pretty decent.

Now my boss wants to hold a little party on site for our office, ordering soda and pizza, after work hours. I doubt anyone will even go.

Yeah I understand what is going on, and I’m lucky that my office is under contract to do the work that we do for another dozen years, so there will be no downsizing in our department…

But, on the other hand it sort of pisses me off that they couldn’t do at least something for us. I’m a non-exempt employee, and don’t get bonus money at the end of the year, so I think that I’m at least owed a party and a door prize…

Ohh man… work parties are the best concept in the world! That sucks

Meh, it happened here too. I say good. Office parties are nothing more than little morsels given to keep the morons happy without actually giving them anything. “Oooo look! We threw you a big party! Don’t you like it! Better to give you $50 worth of party than a meaningful raise…”

we’re not having a whole shindig like we normally do, just something around the office

Not be a dick but, I don’t think you do understand what is going on.

weird we just hired 4 more people and are having a huge party :lol:

the stop all of ours … we have a “dinner” but we need to pay 100% of the bill witch they give us a good deal but yes all my office paid parties are done

Still good here. All out big parties are on.

Free Black and Blue dinner party for some of our big customers and our internal one is on too:)

We have also hired 15 people this year and just hired 5 more. Not bad for a 100 person company.

Having a big party while you’re laying people off is pretty tasteless.

The last place I was at was closing their Buffalo office at the end of the year. They decided to still have the Christmas party, even flew the big wigs in for it. Nothing like sitting around partying it up mid December knowing your office is being closed by the very assholes who are toasting champagne.

I was one of the few to be offered relocation but I was still pissed. Being the dick that I am I printed up about 20 copies of this:
http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/sacrifice.jpg

and hung them all over the office for the CEO, CIO and COO to see.

The printouts made me feel good, but not nearly as good as when the CIO called me up a week after I took my 6 weeks severance and left instead of moving saying he really needed me to consult for them since I was the only one who knew how the code worked for their biggest client. He offered me $25 an hour, which I laughed at, and told him for $100 I’d do it, and maybe next time he shouldn’t toast to the prosperity of the coming years in front of a bunch of people he’s firing.

And yeah, I’m still a little bitter about that party. Can you tell? :wink:

EDIT:
PS… he caved on my counter offer and I billed them over 30k that year, working just nights/weekends from home (on top of my new regular job). He was since fired for, basically, complete incompetence.

:word:

let me highlight a major reason of why your company is likely not spending a lot of cash at the moment.

In case you haven’t read yet, financial institutions are not doing so great at the moment.

Yeah no layoffs here, and work party will be on and poppin’.

we usually get a bar and some food but not a formal affair and its usually at the end of the day. Then our other company throws something in the office but most places are shying away from it. Its rare for a company to do anything anymore because if liability.

My new company doesn’t do christmas parties anymore. We get a christmas bonus though. I guess they used to do a big open bar party but it kept getting more and more out of control and they decided to kill it before people got sued, fired, knocked up or some combination of those. :lol:

i dont even get a christmas bonus or a bonus

would much rather have a bonus than a holiday party.

i hate having to hang out with work people more than required.

No bonus here unless you count the $25 GC to tops :frowning:

Oil industry for the WIN.

We just had a huge cook off yesterday and received first place for best chicken and pork, and second place for best fish.

I think we only have 4 or 5 parties left this year. HA HA

I can’t wait for my bonus this year, should I put it in my 401K? Naw its maxed out this year lol… what can I spend it on? humm I think the vette needs new rims and tires :slight_smile:

x2, I mean the people I work with are ok, but I go to lunch and dinner with them enough.

same

:picard:

billions in losses, but they should throw a party!