Home Audio question for the experts

I am ordering my speaker system in the next few days (onkyo t870) and I am thinking about possibly picking up the onkyo 608 receiver to go with it. My question though is, if I connect all of my sources (xbox, blueray, etc) through HDMI, will I be able to use the Component Video output or will it only output through HDMI? My projector does not have an HDMI connection so I am stuck using the component out… but I would like to save on the amount of wires by using HDMI between the sources and the receiver.
Thanks in advance.

Yes that shouldn’t be an issue your just simping doing hd vid and audio via the hdmi cable to your receiver and going to the tv via comp cable. Only downside is max resolution u will get will be 1080i or 720p.

I would be surprised if you can do that. Most receivers just have a HDMI switch in them, no means to convert or split the video out to component. I quickly scanned through the manual and I didn’t see anything saying otherwise.

it all depends on the receiver, make sure you read through the manual carefully or do a quick google search to see if anybody complained about not being able to do that.

did a search but didn’t find much. I know that it says it can up-covert but I’m not sure if it can “down-convert” lol.

Damn… found my answer… and no receivers can down-convert HDMI to Component. Apparently it has something to do with being able to use capture devices with component or something. Well it looks like I’ll be keeping my current receiver a little longer.

kenny you could always directly connect your vid to the tv if you have enough conections. Go from ps3,360 via optical cable to your reciever.

its a projector so it only has one input. I use the receiver as the video switcher so that isn’t an option. I use component and optical now which I will just continue to do. It just would have been nice to eliminate some wires by going HDMI. Once i get a new projector I’ll change it out.