Home remodeling Q's

Anyone here do ceramic tile flooring?

I’ve done it before, but it was in a kitchen and we just went over top of the existing floor/some grout remaining.

I’m going to be doing the floor of my bathroom in ceramic tile and the floor needs replaced, I think it’s just particle board underneath. What would be the best type of floor to put down to help with the humidity/dampness that will be in a bathroom? I was thinking a thicker MDF board at first because it’s pretty dense, but not sure. Also I’m thinking screws instead of nails. I don’t want to be replacing cracked tiles in a year or two. Any help is appreciated.

Question 2. Anyone do refridgeration?

I have a deep freezer that’s pretty old (15+ years maybe??) but it’s been barely used. When I plug it in, the light comes on but it no longer gets cold. I can’t hear anything running, so I’m not sure what’s wrong/what to check. At one point it did work, about 10 years ago, and we unplugged it cus it wasn’t used and it hasn’t run since. It sits off the ground too, so I don’t think it’s rotted out.

Thanks.

If the floor needs replaced due to moisture/rot, by all means replace it. If it is in OK shape, screw it down. Replace w/ 3/4" plywood if needs replaced. In either case, suggest 1/4" thk Hardibacker cement board over top. Screw it down. This gives a good surface for the thin set to adhere to. Do not lay tile on wood.

:bigthumb:

That seems like the idea from what I’ve been reading, and also I read about putting a thincoat of cement down in between the plywood/hardboard.

I use the 5/16" backerboard, with thinset between the wood and the backerboard, and between the backerboard and the tile. And make sure that no edge of the tile ends up even with the edge of the backerboard.

i redid the bathroom at my house recently, and used hardi backer*, and thinset, i did the floor, and i reframed a walk in shower and used pretty much the same method to tile all the walls