My Small Bathroom Remodel

Was talking to 91MR2 the other day, and we concluded that if it’s not on the internet, it didn’t happen. So, here’s my small bathroom remodel.

The old setup had linoleum stick-on tiles and a cheesy, large vanity. I decided on some nice porcelain tile and more space-efficient appliances. I’ll let the pics (none edited, some blurry) do the talking, but all that remains is finishing the door frame and transition piece to the hardwood in the hallway, as well as nabbing a new shower curtain and maybe some art. Enjoy!

Looks great, nice work.

Total cost? looks goood

Pictures with pennies as proof. How am I supposed to be believe this is really yours?

what board did you use behind the shower?
kinda just looks like moisture board from lowes.

Cement board is the only approved board to be used where it will be in direct water contact.
not that anyone will come and make you tear it out, but moisture board will get all moldy and shit behind the tiles when the grout cracks where cement board won’t… so just make sure you regrout whenever you see it start to crack.
or else the tiles will just fall off, lol :
something like hardibacker, wonderboard etc…
just something to keep in mind in case you do another bath remodel! (I dunno if this was a 2nd bath or what not)

edit; I think you’re also supposed to have a water proof barrier in between the wall and cement board, but im not sure if that’s code in our area or not.
plain moisture board will last you a few dozen years if you re grout it when it cracks though… so not really a big deal.

IRC Greenboard Code:
The 2006 International Residential Code (IRC) states in
Section R702.4.2 that “Cement, fiber-cement or glass mat
gypsum backers in compliance with ASTM C1288, C1325
or C1178 and installed in accordance with manufacturers’
recommendations shall be used as backers for wall tile in
tub and shower areas and wall panels in shower areas.”

The 2006 IRC also states in Section R702.3.8.1 that
“Water-resistant gypsum backing board [Greenboard] shall
not be used where there will be direct exposure to water.”

Looks real nice though!

looking good!!

Looks nice. Very similar to one I did last winter. Only suggestion would have been to tile into the glass block to eliminate the wood trim in the shower, and maybe to move the faucet up a bit. Good for bath, awkward for shower. Nice work, looking for a job?

Wow…awesome job. How long did that take?

First off, thanks for the compliments! It does need some finishing touches, but I’m pleased with the almost-finished result!

:snky: Probably significantly less than you may guess!

Thanks for the heads up! Trust me, there will be no moisture getting behind the tile. That board will not be “in direct contact with water”. There’s so much mastic, grout, and caulk. We consulted our contractor friend who does meticulious bathroom work, and our approach was guided by his advice. He even advised against a vapor barrier. The drywall we removed was not moisture-rated and the last homeowner even had plywood back there and it was fine after ~20 years.

Thanks! That’s not wood trim around the window, its plastic! …same with the floor molding. :snky: Which faucet should I move up a bit? The showerhead is at a good height, and I’m not trying to fit my body under the tub spout if I want to fill the tub… lolz. And I’m probably done with bathroom work for a while, I want to enjoy summer now!

Thanks, man. My father and I worked 2-3 nights a week on it for about 5 weeks

I think he’s talking about the controls for the faucet. It’s so low that when you’re standing there taking a shower and want to adjust the temp you’re going to have to bend down. Standard for the control valve is around 42" from the floor of the tub.

Looks really good though. I need to do something very similar at my house.

:tup:

That looks great :tup:

I can’t wait to poop there.

Def. better than it was. :tup:

X…

Nice job! I love the earth tones. WINNING!

I was just about to say, this bathroom looks like it will be a very cozy place to take a poop.

Nice work! :tup:

I’m ususally rushed in the morning so my bath is designed for efficiency. Toilet paper keeps getting wet though. Working on a solution for that.

That’s a very smart move for the “double shower”.

“um honey? Can you make the water a bit warmer, that’s nice”

lol^

looks great man!