Small bathroom remodel

This is just a small half bath that i am working on while we finish another full bath in the house, and im going to be doing pretty much all of this myself so i figured i would post up pictures.

Old sink setup:

Was held up by the plumbing , and by leaning against the wall lol :clap:
This will be replaced with a full pedestal sink

Old medicine cabinet and lights

Judging by the newspaper that was left in the wall, the bathroom was built in 1960 (its always cool to find old newspapers) Found an ad for 60tiles for 1$ LOL. And news of Castro, along with a half smoked filterless nasty ass cigarette.

The not fun things about old bathroom with these types of medicine cabinets is that they have a slot in the bottom where you can throw away your sweet single blade razors. So guess where the razor ended up when i was demoing? Yup. Into my hand, and cut all down my finger lol.

The dual lights will be replaced with one single overhead light.

It was tile 46" up, so i cut out all of that with a sawzall and started reboarding it. The top half is 3/4" thick so i padded out the lower with 1/4" and then used regular 1/2" drywall. (no moisture in here)

Thats as far as i got today.
Ill compound, get the light in, medicine cabinet and tile the floor tomorrow and then finish the other bathroom up in the meantime, ill more than likely have this done by wednesday, or thursday at the latest.

Tile in the other bathroom :

Grouted:

Same tile will be used in the half bath, and same color grout (bone)
Also this grout is mixed using a sealer instead of water. ( 75$ a bottle lolozerr. we used 1 bottle on the shower, and half of another on the big bathroom floor and it will finish the rest of this bathroom)

As far as i know this is going to be a straight lay, and then 4 tile up (48") using the floor tile, and then capped with a nosing that we used in the shower (no pics sorry)

It is definitely going to look 139% better.

I’ll post more pictures tomorrow

That tub projecting beyond the corner bead should be interesting.

I know, it’s an old tub (we didnt replace it). I forget what it’s called but it’s like a molded in tub or something, the studs were set back an inch already so we had to pad that out.
The walls were originally 1" thick cement/mesh and the floor was 1 1/4" concrete. brick shithouse literally.

. It looks like a lot but it’s only about an 1/8"

Thats how mine was, the mesh is such a bitch when it’s nailed every square inch.
Bright side is I gained about 3" busting out all that tile :lol:

Too late to pop the drywall and add an inch to the studs? Gonna make it alot easier.

yes because the shower is already tiled. it should work out fine though. ill post a picture of that bathroom done when it comes time. i just have to grout the base, and put in a tower + vanity and wait for the sink to be cut.

I guess i dont have to tile the walls on the small bathroom, it’s just going to be drywall. which is kind of nice because it makes the room seem a little big bigger when it’s not all tile. (looks bigger with small bathrooms, big bathrooms it makes it look huge, and awesome)

i finished the floor tile but i forgot to take a picture, so ill post one after i grout it tomorrow

finished the drywall, got 1 coat of compound on it
wired the light, added a gfi (old lights had plugs at the bottom of them), and put in a new switch

tomorrow i should have the medicine cabinet in, toilet, 3 1/4" tile base, floor grouted, sink in, any towel/toilet bars in, and at that point it should be about 90% complete.

or ill see if im going to be painting it first, since it would be a lot easier without all of the BS in the way lol

i think i have about 11 hours into this so far including demo.

Ok well i really slacked on putting up pictures lol

Drywall in, wired in gfi & switch

new light wired

drywall ooooo fun
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll148/95LS1t/012-3.jpg
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll148/95LS1t/010-3.jpg
medicine cabinet cutout (i should have stuck knifeblades down there for the next contractor like they did :fu: :frowning: )
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll148/95LS1t/011-5.jpg
floor tiled yay w/ tile base

Painted poopoo brown w/ new toilet

New medicine cabinet and light

new sink and faucet

yay done
I think about 3 days of total work into this, not sure because i was working on the other bathroom too, and putting in new doors/casing/base in the house

awesome man!!!

How did the tub work out?

thank you :slight_smile:

Basically compounded it, and caulked the whole seam and i split the difference down the middle when i painted it so you can’t really tell from standing in the doorway, looks a lot better than the original pic

Well the homeowner decided that the brown was too dark, so im going to have to repaint the bathroom a lighter brown, which this is now going to be a pain because the toilet and pedestal sink is installed along with the medicine cabinet and toilet paper holder. This will put my paint skillz 2 da test y0. lol. Really not looking forward to this.

I did a pretty good job cutting in the walls with this color, however im more than likely going to have to tape off the edges on the ceiling , and the window trim just to make sure i can go in as far as i can. EVERYTHING has to be covered because you will really be able to tell since this paint is so much lighter. And it’s probably going to take 2-3 coats to cover.

I’ve spent the last 2 days painting wood trim around windows white, and all new casings/moldings/doors/bifold doors white. 7 windows total, 6 doors total, 6 bifold doors total. Not fun at all lol. And everything needed 3 coats to cover. We replaced all the baseboard in the house to white too (besides the kitchen and hallway. not replacing the hallway is kind of pollack but w.e)

Here’s how the big bathroom turned out:

Everything was purchased from NewYork Kitchen and Bath on Broadway in depew.
Countertop was either by NYKB, or CFM. i don’t know for sure

edit: Countertop is quartz, if any of you care to know

Buy a three inch angled brush and stop being a pussy. If it’s not your house you couldn’t ask for a better practice opportunity. As one of the biggest assholes I ever met once said…“I cut in like a laser.”

lol i know but if i get any closer i will be on the ceiling