Honda guys.....need some help

Hey guys, never really thought I’d be in this forum but here I am :bigthumb: I picked up an 89 Accord and i think it needs a tranny. It seems that it is in drive in every gear…sorta. When you put the car in park easily, it stays in drive. But, if you slam it from drive to park, it goes into reverse once you hit park. Then if you shift to reverse, it goes into neutral, and everything else is drive.

Does this sound like the tranny needs replaced, or might it be something different that can fix this? If it needs a tranny, does anyone have any idea where I can get one on the cheap?

Thanks

This is an Accord with the pop up headlights, right? They had a big problem with the shifter cables going out of adjustment. Usually this just caused a grind when going into park or drive, depending on how you had the cable adjusted. In the worst case scenario you may have to install a new cable.

Sounds good. I actually talked to someone else after I made this post and they sai dthe same thing. i’ll get under it sometime this week and check it out.

like the guy said cables need adjustment.Kinda like Dodges and their linkages around 90,000 miles.

cool. thanks a ton guys. It really is no big deal if it does need a tranny since I didn’t have to pay anything for the car, but this is realy good news for me.