2003 Accord Tranny problem

The Car:
Got a 2003 accord EX V6 Automatic with 91000 miles.

The issue:
Slipping transmission? Shot tranny?? ___ ___ __?

When the car is cold, tranny is fine for about 10-15 min, then it starts acting up when shifting, slipping shifts, studdering. When i put it in D car wont go anywhere, it will just rev, 1st gear not usable, 2nd gear is somewhat usable when not applying a lot of gas and drivable up to 40mph @4000rpms. All other gears are uselss, and all slip.

Sometimes there are grinding noises for about a second or two. After driving the car for a bit, when it is in P it takes about 10 or so seconds to engage D. It usually takes a second or two. It makes a high pitched clunk when going from P to D.

THE KICKER:
When i turn off the car, pull the key, and start the car, the tranny is fine again and will shift fine and hold power in any gear. No clunking, no grinding, studdering.
No delayed shifts. Just back to normal.

The Dealer:
Took it to westherr honda, did a diagnosis ($100), the scan had codes, one was torque converter something…, and ultimately told me that i need a new tranny and will cost around 1800 for parts and 1000 for labor.

I don’t understand why i need a new tranny if the tranny works fine after i restart the car. Could it be just the tranny computer?

Honda Corporate:
They might cover 50% of the cost. My case is still under review and needs approval.

Me:
What should i do? Should i go to a local repair shop?
If corp will cover 50% i will go with dealer option. If not should i attempt to do it in my garage, or take it to a tranny shop?

Thanks.

sounds like my friends breeze. it turned out to just be a solenoid that needed replacement.

i doubt you need a new tranny

He said that all solenoids were fine, but then again its a stealership. What should i do? Tell them to hold off and take the car apart myself?

Well first things first. I would NOT drive the car until you diagnose the exact problem, and fix it. Driving it around and experimenting what does what with it is only going to worsen your situation. Good luck, tranny problems suck. 5sp> auto for this main reason among many others.

Drain the tranny fluid and check for metal shavings/ particles.

i say get a second opinion someplace else

What if i took out a solenoid out of the tranny. Is there a way to test them?
Hook them up to battery and see/hear?

if it is a bad solenoid, its still apparently 1/2 way functional, as evidenced by the fact that it works fine again for a while after a restart

the solonoids might bench test fine then operate bad when actually installed and working again.