93' Aerostar Tranny Problem ...

My Mom’s '93 Ford Aerostar van (aka the mamma mobile) is having tranny problems (it’s an auto). The tranny works fine except for when it’s cold out. When it’s cold out, it seems like the tranny slips a little bit and it even takes awhile for it to go into drive. It backs up ok when it’s cold out though. She has to run the car for awhile before she can drive it, because it won’t even go into drive at all at first. Once the car is warmed up and the tranny has too, it drive fine. Anyone know what could be the problem? Also, how can I fix this for her (if possible)? She’s taking it to AAMCO tomorrow to have them look at it, but she thinks that they are just going to tell her that she needs a new tranny. I’d rather save my mom the money if at all possible … thanks in advance for any help

John

bump

My Thunderbird was doing the same thing until the clutch packs decided to weld themselves together giving me only one gear. When that happened every gear would go forward even reverse. I ended up having to replace the tranny. Maybe her clutch packs are worn out? I believe someone on this board is a manager a an AAMCO, maybe he will chime in with his advice. Good luck.

I’m not really sure. I don’t know to much about transmissions. All I know is how to replace at clutch and flywheel on a 5-speed manual on my car …

Have you checked the fluid?