hotspots/wireless internet?

searched and didn’t find any discussion on this… So where myself and a few other NYspeeders rent some shop space, cell service totally blows. Since it’s a commercial property we can’t just get a basic internet package/router installed and pay say $20 a month for internet…It’s a pain in the ass working on something and realizing we need a part, and trying to search for it on our phone and all that jazz, would be awesome to set up an old computer and have internet access for those purposes.

I’ve tried searching the internet for options, but it seems like all of the non-wireless companies (a.k.a. not AT&T/Verizon/Sprint) don’t have coverage in the area and all the wireless companies want $60+ a month and then have to buy the hotspot device for small amounts of data like 5gig…

so, does anyone have experience with anything like this? recommendations on product/service maybe I didn’t find yet?

Thanks in advance!

Buy this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331492085931?lpid=82&chn=ps.

Add a line to someone’s VZW plan using an android phone with a Sim card for $9.99 per month and then throw that Sim card in your hotspot device. You could go all out and buy someones unlimited data plan through VZW or if you know someone who still has a grandfathered plan, they can switch it over to you and you can add this device to it and not have to deal with a certain GB per month.

You can also check out something like this: http://www.radioshack.com/wilson-dt-3g-dual-band-cell-phone-signal-booster/1710314.html#.VPYVwS79ciU

There are other models, both more and less expensive, but I believe this is the same one my parents use. Basically it boosts all cell service. They have a home in rural PA where they could only get service in one spot in the yard, and now with this they have good signal all over the property and inside as well.

Might be a good investment if you may move shops, and no re-occuring fees either like a hot spot. Granted, you would still be using your data plan on your phone, or you could get a hot spot.

Wouldnt this not work if they dont have good cell service at the shop?

You are correct. I failed to see that part of the post. I retract my recommendation…

Just get TWC or Verizon Business Class service and stop worrying about it. Verizon’s Business Class DSL is pretty low cost.

landlord won’t let us have the building wired up for it. We are off the books and have an agreement on paper that is filed away for personal reassurance only. we only rent about a 1/12th of the building and don’t have access to the rest to have any cable/wire ran for hardwired internet at the moment. I tried convincing the landlord to get internet installed in his office and the upstairs apartment he plans on renting, and offered to pay half the cost…but he didn’t bite.

Then you have pretty much no option. Mobile hotspot is the only thing that would really work…IF you can get decent decent cell reception.

is there cell service when outside?

Maybe a pay as you go plan from VZ or ATT and external high gain antenna. I have my parents on a 5 GB pay as you go hot spot plan from ATT - no contract, $40/Month. They have no other options besides Dishnet/Directway/Hughesnet. If you can see the cell tower from the roof, even if it’s miles away and very poor signal with your phone, these antennas will extend your range by a long ways. Below is just one, there are many different vendors/models.
http://www.antennagear.net/9-2dbi-3g-4g-lte-xlte-antenna-w-25ft-coax-for-verizon-4510l-hotspot/

Maybe try Blue Wireless? They are a local wireless company - maybe coverage in more remote areas then the big guys.

Man where the hell do you get internet for 20 dollars?

I think I pay like 110/month for fios internet only and that doesn’t even include the router “rental”

if you call time warner and tell them you just want the most basic internet they offer, it’s $15.99 a month for “roadrunner lite”. not great for streaming or downloading but does the job for cheap. up until about 6 months ago this is all I had…matter of fact I also asked if I could have just basic channels like news/weather and they said they could add channels 2-22 for $19.99

when they hooked it up, the tech forgot to put the filter on my line at the pole, for 2yrs I had channels 2-99 with internet for $50/mo with tax and shit.

Yeah the catch being is you have to buy cable tv from them to get it…

If you get cell service outside you could use a mobile hotspot. several models have ports for expandable antennas which you can get cheap on amazon.

I wasn’t required to get cable TV from them, I just asked for it after we had internet all worked out.

I’ll have to try again, i’m getting ripped at $66 a month.

$60 a month from Timewarner is 35x5

They have a couple slower options under that.

I think Verizon DSL is ~20 a month. Not great, but whatever.