How adversely has a tune affected your gas mileage?

I’ve really wanted to get a tuned 225hp TT, but I’m wondering how my gas mileage would suffer compared to stock.

It’s been between a 04-05 wrx and a 225hp TT. I’m not looking for something really fast and if the TT could be tuned and still get the same gas mileage it seems like a good idea. I wouldn’t tune a WRX because I might as well buy a STi if I’m going to mod a subaru. Tuned/exhaust TT’s run low thirteens at 103-104 so it’s not that far behind a access port/exhaust STi.

Before everyone tells me to get an STi, I don’t need the extra space(or insurance premium or the worse gas mileage.) I know STi’s handle a lot better stock but I don’t need a DD race car, refinement and something different would be nice.

I am curious the fuel economy changes of access ported STi’s or even evo’s but I’m really looking into Audi. I was looking at the APR chip, any other suggestions are welcome.

Usually a tune gives you better gas mileage. Go for the TT if you dont need the interior space. Fun cars :tup:

if you get tuned, and ur mpg goes down under identical driving conditions, your tuner fails

unless u were running like 16:1 a/f the whole way

also, get the sti. or evo. why pay for an overpriced VW beetle w/ an audi badge? :gay2:

My old a4 (01 A4 1.8t) after a reflash I saw about 1-2mpg increase.

samething with my current a4 (05.5 2.0t)

btw.

1.8t = crap.

I just figured extra timing and boost would probably use for fuel at WOT and there for yield worse gas mileage, even though this shouldn’t affect highway numbers, I still am hoping for real world experience from someone to prove this.

tru.

however, it does reduce your mileage indirectly because once your car rips V-tech like whoa you’ll have your foot the floor much more often.

tuned evos get better mpg than sti’s because of the smaller turbo always spinning on the sti more than the evo, if your looking for something like that i say go evo but ive never liked the tt so just my $0.02

EDIT: either way you shouldnt be looking to get a tune for more power to improve mpg

That is awesome, more power and gas mileage, who reflashed it?

1.8t with ko4 though.

Yeah. I know.
I would recommend lurking vwvortex / audizine.
Shits been covered there 1000 times over.

Both a4 were done by jason dale.
One was Blackforest - 1.8t
One was GIAC - 2.0t

I’m not looking for a 400whp DD, if I were I’d go 20g evo, stage 3 B5 S4, or FP green STi. I don’t want the headache or fuel economy, just something fun, unique and if nothing else more reliable than a 400hp DD.

increasing timing allows more time time forcombustion (more efficient basically)

plus most factory cars run ridiculously rich, so cleaning that up “trims the fat” from the fuel curve basically

once u go for more power then you use more fuel yes…but since you are now making more power, you don’t have to accelerate as much in each gear, so your fuel econ. tends to stay the same or better. for daily driving conditions anyway. MPG when u are WOT is terrible no matter what

that’s just a general rule anyway. it also depends on where u make peak torque, as that is the point your motor is using the most fuel

if you have to worry about getting worse mpg, then you really shouldn’t be modding your car.

No offense.

I mean, MORE GAS = MORE POWER pretty much.

as already said, it shouldnt make it worse. i get 36-39mpg highway in my k car going 75mph. it traps around 104.

Brian

I don’t understand this, please explain.

My 500+ rwhp car gets 25mpg on the highway, and that was part of the reason I built this car.

I could have built a 69 camaro with the same power and got 7mpg.

Plus say a STI gets ~20 mpg to start, then turbo and tune it gets 12, that is a huge difference.

While lets say a TT gets ~20mph then with the larger Ko4 and tune it really gets 22mpg why not choose a TT over the STI?

My buddy has a 225 tt. Its apr tuned + some other add ons. He gets excellent gas mileage, the kind of gas mileage that gets me jealous in my car…

My 04 1.8t GLI was APR tuned as well, and if I can remember correct my gas mileage was around 30+ under normal driving. I did a 396 mile trip and still had a little above an 1/8 tank. I did the same trip in my Evo and had to stop for gas…

EDIT: I can say that if your looking for great gas mileage…DONT BUY AN EVO. This is my opinion, there maybe Evo owners that may think different.

When I had my 01.5 A4 gas mileage increased from a tune but that of course is highway at low rpm, it also increased boost and once you got on it and into boost gas mileage drops (of course) significantly.

If you plan on pussy footing it around to get good gas mileage I wouldn’t recommend spending any money on a flash.

Got 33 hwy on my 97 a4 1.8t with an MTM tune…

Got 33 hwy on my 2001 a4 avant 1.8t stock.

wouldnt goin to one of those cars be slower than what ya got now?

24mpg beating on it, city driving for a heavy awd turbo pig aint THAT bad ?

I got ~20 city and maybe 26 highway with my evo.