Junior tuned the Evo today...

As some of you know, I’ve been prepping the Evo for a couple weeks with intentions on getting it tuned on E85 ASAP. Once I knew when all the needed parts would arrive, I set a tuning appt with Junior through TurboTrix for Friday, Sept 10th. Never got to talk to Jr directly until today as Verizon has been screwing him on cell hardware (ATT FTW!).

Anyway, I arrived at TurboTrix today and was quickly greeted by Jr. We came up with a plan, and I switched out the pump fuel for E85 while the car was still on the trailer. Once I had that done, Jr was able to quickly get the car on the dyno and start to work his magic…

1st issue. The way GrimmSpeed told me to hook up the boost control solenoid was wrong, so we had to change it (the car spiked to 35psi fast on the initial power pull). No biggie, 15 min fix by the time it was said and done.

With that out of the way, the majority of the tuning was completed, on both high and low boost levels. Jr got the car dialed in quick, and it was making nice numbers after I switched out the plugs for fresh ones.

2nd issue. The alternate map switch was not doing it’s job. Once we switched to the 2nd map, we could not switch back to the first map. Even though I know that I installed it correctly via the supplied directions, we double checked it. Good to go. I mentioned some wires that I knew were still cut, Jr said they needed to be hooked up. So I did that while he took care of some other stuff…still no working alt map switch. I was tired and frustrated at that point, but Jr soon figured it out (voltage issue of some sort ‘in’ the ECU).

Time for road testing! Again, being very tired, I let Junior drive. Cut the BS-car is FAST! Junior made some small adjustments to the boost as it’s always a little different on the street vs the dyno, and I was on my way home.

In summary, it was a pleasure having Jr tune the car. We worked well together solving the minor issues, and he’s the ONLY person that will tune the car in the future.

DISCLAIMER-learned from Junior today that the car will never idle/start nearly as well as it could, because the throttle body on the car now has no IAC. A stock TB with an IAC will be installed over the winter, and be retuned as needed.

Final number-

636WHP

-TT

Wow nice writeup and great numbers

Holy shit bro. Big power

Thanks!

word.

Fuck man that some serious power. Trade for Cobra? LOL

awesome numbers!

wawaweewa

yup, im jealous

Nice work, EVO’s are fucking nuts. E85 FTMFW

Awesome numbers travis.

Having no IAC can be a pain in the cock in the colder weather, only thing that sucked about taking it off the Z on a cool morning

I’d assume on “full retard switch” the evo is much faster than the vette? maybe not on top end but overall

Your car is still cooler.

Thanks, I firmly believe that E85 is ‘better’ than C16, at a fraction of the cost.

The Evo hooks (and will hook much better after I get the SNOW TIRES off of it), Vette dosent. IMO, the Evo will trap higher.

Can’t just wire in a GM or universal IAC like the ones from diyautotune. what throttle body is on it now

75MM, and honstly have not figured out what it is, it’s an aftermarket of sorts. I’ll talk to Jr about it when the time comes.

it’s an AMS throttle body :ninja

doesnt petes make like half that?

… your point?

So does this car let off how much power it has if you saw it cruising around?

Yea, he had cossey make him a vinyl cut out of the dyno graph and dyno numbers to plaster on the side of the car

+1.