Sobo's Mitsubishi Evolution 8. Long term keeper :)

I figured I’d keep a log of all my experiences with my “new to me” 2003 Mitsubishi Evolution 8. This including maintenance, upgrades, racing, problems and repairs.

As for the car’s background, I traded my 93 Rx7 + Ls1 car to Sansone on these forums for it. Although for me it was a value loss (The first I’ve had in a LONG time), I am very satisfied with what I ended up with. The utility of a car that is decently fast, AWD, safe-ish, reliable, and has 4 doors really got me hooked on the car.

And to get this out of the way immediately, I’m pretty much unable to sell this car. Therefore It’s going to be in my garage for at least 2 years. Long story short it involves a lien.

So, typical of all Evo drivers on this forum, I’m planning on this car becoming my DD. Although we will see how long that lasts haha.

So without further adieu, here she is.

And as you can see, I’m starting with a little over 70,000 miles.

As for mods, the car is pretty light. It’s a stock turbo car, shitty BC 272 cams, RC1000 injectors, a Walbro 255 fuel pump, mystery clutch, Turbo-back exhaust, intake, Coil overs and a Klemann tune.

She is not without her minor problems however.

Exhibit A:
Exxon Valdez

Exhibit B:
Camber <3

Exhibit C:
Bruises

The car also needs some preventative maintenance. The 60k maintenance needs to be done still, the car needs new front brake rotors, and I’d also like to replace all fluids to have a clean slate to start with.

So, to begin with I decided to stack up on parts. As an immediate concern for safety the first thing I bought was tires.

I bought some Yokohama AVID W4S all season tires. Why? I got them for a little over $100 a tire. Nothing crazy but they are on sale in order to make way for the new AVID en-vigor tires. They shouldn’t be too bad.

I also ordered my timing belt kit from mitsubishiparts.net. They had it for a good price and included free shipping. I plan on having it installed within the next week. The gasket for my oil return line is also on the way.

As for the body damage, I am in the process of receiving cash from the ladies insurance that hit it. I plan on having the front clip and rear bumper fixed.

In terms of plans after that… I plan on collecting my fluids and then brake rotors. Installing them myself and working on getting an alignment.

In the power department, I want to start with more aggressive 272 cams and a speed density tune. This will most likely happen before next summer.

Stay tuned.

-Sobo

PS: All shots of my Mitsubishi Evo were and will be shot on my HTC evo :wink:

It was a fun ride last night. I approve of the trade on both ends.

I had no clue your girlfriend was 17.

nice car :tup:

I get it now haha

That’s what mine is for DDing lol. It’s the most exciting car I have ever owned. Their a blast to drive. Enjoy it.

Speaking of drivetrain fluids, your probably aware of what you should use in your transfer case/rear diff. Diaqueen LSD. And Diaqueen 75w85 in the trans, though you can get away with Redline or Amsoil in your 5spd.

And if you haven’t ordered the 60k kit, you can get the whole OEM kit with both belts, all tensioners , pulleys and waterpump for $439 shipped. EVO VIII timing kit http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catalog/?section=652

Let me know how those tires are, I have the factory Yokohama S drives on mine and they have some miles on them, so they get pretty loud after 45mph.

+1, lol.

Nice dude

i run amsoil MTG in my trans, ive had the best luck with that so far. if your going to get quite aggressive cams, i would suggest to upgrade your valvetrain while youre in there…

good luck with it :tup: seems like the car is in good hands

I ordered that exact timing belt kit! And I will let you know about the yokos.

Thanks for the wise words. I plan on definitely freshening the valvetrain with upgraded parts when I go with cams.

As far as tranny fluid I was thinking of going redline mt90, but if there is something better Il use that.

Transfer fluid is defiantly gonna be diaqueen.

To clarify, Alex and me made a deal, I’m giving him the money fix the fender to get her resprayed. I also bought him the gasket that leaks. It’s in good hands now. Hes catching up on all the things I fell behind on with me DD’ing the car, and being a full time student.

As for tires and other little things like that, the Rx7 needed tires and bushings as well as a few other little things just like the Evo. So I as well am bringing the Mazda back.

But anyways, Good luck with the car Sobo. The car has a nice street setup (minus those cams, I hate those). I’ve never been stuck anywhere in the car or had a failure. Obviously I’m always down to lend a hand.

the tires are worn down because i sold them to sansone like that lol…
you NEED an alignment though

whats the point of going speed density?
buy evo7 tails

Seems like a pretty sweet trade, good luck to both of you

Supposedly it frees up about 15whp and makes the car more drivable.

To clarify, Alex and me made a deal, I’m giving him the money fix the fender to get her resprayed. I also bought him the gasket that leaks. It’s in good hands now. Hes catching up on all the things I fell behind on with me DD’ing the car, and being a full time student.

As for tires and other little things like that, the Rx7 needed tires and bushings as well as a few other little things just like the Evo. So I as well am bringing the Mazda back.

But anyways, Good luck with the car Sobo. The car has a nice street setup (minus those cams, I hate those). I’ve never been stuck anywhere in the car or had a failure. Obviously I’m always down to lend a hand.

Yes. It was pretty much a straight forward transaction and I’m very happy with how smoothly things are going. No one got ripped off or anything of the such and obviously I’m here to help you out 100% too sansone. I know the ls1 swap almost 100% now after working on drews car.

I love the car.

the redline mt90 is good too, ive used it before. i just feel the car shifts better with the amsoil, this however is on a built trans.

let me know if ya ever need any help/advice with anything. i just did a headgasket on another evo today in about 6 hours lol

This is what I need, Evo 8 tails are no no. At least the jdm ones he has actually look good on a black car.

lol wow 6 hours paul! what a lucky evo owner he must be!

I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks alot, I’m trying to be as self sufficient as I can haha. There is sooo much good reading on evom, it really helps a ton.

Got my tires mounted today @ swerve (BTW, great guys!!!)

Had to jack the car up a bit to avoid rubbing so badly. It’s weird because I bought the same size tire as the last set that was on there. No biggie though, I was planning on raising the car up for practicalities sake anyways.

72k, new tires.

Found out I have a bad suspension part that I will go more into detail to fix when the car is apart for the timing belt.

I’m also scoping out some light weight rotors.

car looks better a little bit raised
PLEASE go get an alignment

It’ll happen before fall.