How do you install a new postive cable wire for the battery

hey guys I bought my 1989 and the positive battery cable snap how should I fix it. New cable? soder help me out my sons

you can grab an 2 or 4 gauge stereo cable the one with the solid red insulation and get some copper fitting crimp them on your set

isn’t there something much easier than doing that? Can’t you replace the whole new wire?

how much easier do you want?

easyest thing.

take it to a shop. bend over

presto. new cable in teh car

GT

That is the cheapest and easiest way to do it. I don’t know why you would want to do it any other way.

uh, Canadian Tire sells univeral positive and negative battery cables in different lengths for cheap.

Take off your old one, measure it.

(relax, you’re 1/3 done … take a deep breath)

Take that measurement to the Battery/Cable shelf. Find the closest cable to your measurement in your choice of black, blue, grey or red,

(gasp 2/3s of the way)

Replace broken cable with not broken cable.

Annnnnnd … you’re done.

If you wanna be really fancy, you can buy the dielectric grease at CT too. The stuff looks like whale sperm (not to be confused with a sperm whale)

this will keep the green death of corrosion at bay.

You can also buy a terminal/post cleaner. It looks like a 4 pointed throwing instrument with blades. This you clean the post on your likely-coated-in-green-schmutz battery with before clamping down the new cable.

mr200 is right the cables are less then $10 at canadian tire i balieve. They can usually tell you what size you need. Just go to the parts counter and tell them you need a battery cable for an 240sx (JLV is the CT code for the 240) and they will give you a aprt # and then just go find that part # on the shelf. Its easy and the proper way.

Thanks guys! it’s hard finding the bottom of the wire I cant really seem to find the bottom of the positive cable, the negative cable is silver and the other wire is snap! Just cant find the bottom of it

the other end of the positive wire should be running to the starter or alternator depending which wire.

it is on the starter. its a 14 mm nut

So it’s connected all the way from the starter? pretty far YOu think its possible if I can just by a whole new wire unbolt the snap wire and replace it with just a new one? And by the way! I’ll give you guys a pic of how the snap wire looks. the wire is black and has a yellow stripe on it !

uh yeah, it’s not a problem at all - the cable is one piece.

Just undo the 14mm nut on the starter, throw away the snapped positive cable, and put the new one in.

they do fray and snap easily. The negative one on my 12 is routed through the battery tray (I don’t know why) and it pretty much rust welded itself to the tray. It looked ok from the outside, but man, best mod yet.

a lot of weird gremlins disappeared when I changed it.

umm … the black wire with the yellow strip is suposed to be the negative cable.The negative runs from battery to the battery tray (for chassis ground then to a spot on the intake manifold righ by the throttle body.

Can you use battery terminal cleaner on grounding spots to help proper conduction?

And does our car need to ground to the battery tray from the negative terminal? Is it more efficient this way or is just one spot better?

Sometimes I think my battery and/or setup might cause a few “gremlins” is why I ask…even though it looks okay & clean…just a hunch. :-k

Hey sorry guy’s but it was the negative wire that needed to be replace. Cause my postive cable is also grey too so it was a bit confusing, the negative is snap and it connects to the throttle, it’s very easy to fixx. I just need to go crappy tires and buy the right size for the cable, anyways thanks for the help! This post can be locked now

Done and done.