How educated are you?

AAS in Comp Sci from FMCC, BS in Come Sci from SUNYIT Utica/Rome, hated programming, couldn’t find a job, ended up going back and getting my MS degree in Telecommunications from SUNYIT. I love the networking aspect of IT.

In most cases, to move past a certain level in most companies, you will need at least a 4 year college degree, even if you can currently move up the company ladder without one. But like everyone else has said in this thread, everyone and their mother has a Bachelors degree, so you really need something extra to stand out from the crowd. Some employers look towards certs, though really all a cert means is you can study for and pass a test. A lot of IT related stuff is learned from hands on training that you get on the job. Knowing how to put a basic configuration on a router or switch is one thing, but knowing what/how to design a network outside of a lab isn’t something you learn only from reading a book.

I didn’t learn/retain much technically from the MS Telecom classes but it did teach me to think and think outside the box, plus the research aspect, which while a pain in the balls at the time, does come in handy too.

Grade 18’s do start out decent, with good pay/benefits. The only issue is you really need to know someone who is in a position to influence hiring as its not easy to get hired off the street without knowing anyone. That in itself is a giant flaw of the Civil Service system - you can never get enough qualified, worthy people into the positions they deserve. Plus there is a hiring freeze so no one should be holding their breath for a state job in the near future.