How educated are you?

word i agree you’ll be better prepared to work for yourself, the question is how much but really my question was because it seems like everyone is talking about how much these degrees mean to your potential employer

Not useless as in you can do fine without them, just the opposite. Useless because everyone has one and it doesnt differentiate you from the crowd. BS is the new GED.

I agree, many of the degrees never get appreciated, and some shouldn’t be. The best part about college is learning to think, drink, getting laid, and learning to fly on your own.

I did the suit and tie corporate thing, sat across from CFO’s of companys like BASF, First Albany Corp, Kodak and the like… and I didn’t use my degree to do it.

Bottom line is that if you don’t have the root knowledge to carry on a conversation with just about anybody, or don’t have the social skills, or life experience, then your degree should probably not be in the arts in most cases…and should extend to a masters.

Either that or take a 40 hour class in Real Estate and start buying shit now.

word :thumbup

Real Estate class is now 80 hours for licensing. Unless you mean just an info class.

Word @ 80 hrs now. Good way to weed out the part time empowered soccer mom realtors.

No shit… every stupid bitch seems to think that they have what it takes to sell homes.

:rofl

AAS in Comp Sci from FMCC, BS in Come Sci from SUNYIT Utica/Rome, hated programming, couldn’t find a job, ended up going back and getting my MS degree in Telecommunications from SUNYIT. I love the networking aspect of IT.

In most cases, to move past a certain level in most companies, you will need at least a 4 year college degree, even if you can currently move up the company ladder without one. But like everyone else has said in this thread, everyone and their mother has a Bachelors degree, so you really need something extra to stand out from the crowd. Some employers look towards certs, though really all a cert means is you can study for and pass a test. A lot of IT related stuff is learned from hands on training that you get on the job. Knowing how to put a basic configuration on a router or switch is one thing, but knowing what/how to design a network outside of a lab isn’t something you learn only from reading a book.

I didn’t learn/retain much technically from the MS Telecom classes but it did teach me to think and think outside the box, plus the research aspect, which while a pain in the balls at the time, does come in handy too.

Grade 18’s do start out decent, with good pay/benefits. The only issue is you really need to know someone who is in a position to influence hiring as its not easy to get hired off the street without knowing anyone. That in itself is a giant flaw of the Civil Service system - you can never get enough qualified, worthy people into the positions they deserve. Plus there is a hiring freeze so no one should be holding their breath for a state job in the near future.

One major exception to that is for IT jobs, though. The state is trying to move away from using consultants as heavily as they do and they’re looking to insource more work, but there is a lack of qualified people who want to leave the consulting world and enter state service.

Correct, and the consultants won’t leave the consulting world because in most cases the insourcing positions represent a 30-50% pay cut. While I agree that many consulting firms get filthy rich off the state, the state also cannot hire qualified individuals off the street to do many of the IT jobs with the way the system is currently. Most people with 5-10 years of experience in the industry aren’t going to consider coming into the state as a grade 18 entry level person. While they have grade 23 open competitive tests to hire off the street, those lists are rarely used. For anyone looking for an IT job, it definitely doesn’t hurt to at least go through the paces to get get put on a list, but don’t hold your breath that you will get hired anytime soon.

I have three friends who were just hried in tax and finance, two of which are grade 11 IIRC? making like 3xK to start.

Agreed. I represent an IT consulting company, and while I wouldn’t say they’re getting “filthy rich off the state,” they do provide a service that is difficult for state workers to perform wholly, which is why we have consultants in the first place.