How long before we see a $200 stand alone Blu-ray player?

I’m hoping soon because $200 is where I’ve set my, “ok, now I’ll buy one” price point.

I know you said stand alone but just suggesting. if you ever play games but i think its a pretty good deal i just got a 40gig ps3 which also plays blue ray dvds also for 390. which you cant really beat your willing to spend 200 on a player figure your getting that plus a ps3 for an additional 190 not to shabby.

Yeah, but I have a 360 and barely find time to play it. Really don’t need to waste 190 on a PS3 that’s just going to collect dust.

My guess is not this year, but well see. Especially since Blu-Ray has just about won the fight, I don’t see a real need to decrease the price.

With 360s HD-DVD drives dropping 50 dollars immediately, I wonder how soon till MS makes a blu-ray add on for it. They have said if BluRay wins the war, they will.

EDIT:
Amazon.com has HD DVD add on for 360 for $80 brand new. And to think I almost bought one for $180 a few months ago.

Msft is smart enough to concede the point, its not like they were the sole developer of it or anything.

I’ve been debating on picking up a entry level PS3 when they get to $300. Two reasons: BRDPlayer, GT5. There is my price point.

As far as when will they get to $200 standalone? Maybe, maaaybe Black Friday '08. With HDDVD pretty much down for the count, there is no market reason for Sony to cut into its precious profit margin.

i bet we will see it sometime this year. but if you think about it though with all the free movie they are giving away with the players its about 200 or less. i got $200 in free movies alone and my player cost $350 so i kinda only paid 150 for the player. and all the movies i got i like so…

That’s a good point. I’d probably be willing to pay $300 for a stand alone blu-ray player that also plays GT5. :slight_smile: