BD Coming to the 360?

Rumours were circulating today that Microsoft is set to dump HD DVD and bring out a Blu ray Xbox 360 by as early as May 2008. The move will allow the Company to go head to head with the Sony PS3 gaming console which has been credited with being one of the main reasons that retailers have preferred Blu-ray over Toshiba’s HD DVD.

Insiders at Microsoft in the USA have told SmartHouse that Microsoft has already configured a standalone Blu-ray player that can be connected into an Xbox 360 and that subject to internal marketing and sales approvals the model could be on sale within 3 months.

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Console/J7L7H2R4?page=1

I was just talking about this with a co-worker. Should be interesting how the console sales go when they launch the player. To really undercut the PS3 i would like to see these launched at the 100-150 dollar level. Will most likely be 200 at launch.

hmm time to trade in my elite then for a blu-ray elite

It’s not going IN the 360, it’s an add-on drive.

it is a GOOD idea for MS to put the HD-DVD player as an add-on. lmao.

eh if they put it in and used the HD-DVD to play game then we would have a whole different story and the war would be a lot closer, HD-DVD would probably be winning if that were the case

Yeah but MS wasn’t about to take a bullet for HD-DVD by sacrificing sales for HD-DVD adoption. The reason the 360 was the big-dog seller for so long was the fact that it was cheaper than the PS3 as well as had a pleathora of games. Granted, Sony is catching up with cutting costs and being able to produce the PS3 for ~$300 now instead of $800 like the 60GB models. I don’t think MS really cares THAT much about HD-DVD and it’s clear because they don’t have any games on the HD-DVD format.

Sorry i guess the way it was worded made me think it was coming with blu-ray built in, guess im hanging on to the elite after all :slight_smile:

I’d still much rather have a stand alone player.

I hear it totally worked out for Sega, and game manufacturers in the 90s. Interesting though.

Sony and the PS3’s success revolves around the Blu-Ray being built into the console. MS would be very dumb now that the format war is over to miss out and not release an add-on.