How to extend wireless signal out to backyard/detached garage?

@Geehee

wanna come upgrade my house/garage?

haha, im a sales guy - and a distributor focused one at that. I’m probably the last guy you want doing something technical.

Ok. Thanks for being honest.

Any of you nerds wanna help me out?

I’m about to pull the trigger on the PLWK400, I have a couple questions.

It looks like the “extender” plugs into the router via a either net, and you plug it into the wall. This unit will extend your wifi locally and communicate to other “receivers” you have plugged in.

The “receivers” then create their own wifi signal local to that area.

Is this correct? Would this be good enough to stream TV in my garage and run some wifi cameras? I’d like to do a camera thing eventually.

It is somewhat concerning that they say you need them to be on the same circuit. Some people say as long as its the same power box it ok, but Link says differently.

Your feedback on the Linksys PLWK400 Powerline is greatly appreciated. The Powerline adapters need to be connected to the same circuit breaker for them to communicate with each other. It doesn’t matter how far is one adapter from the other as long as they’re both on the same circuit. We are sorry to hear that the device did not work with your electrical set up.

Let us know if you have questions, suggestions, or if you need Linksys assistance. You can reach us at LinksysCares@linksys.com anytime.

Regards,

Linksys Support
www.linksys.com