Can i boost my ability to receive a wireless network?

My landlord gave me the password to his network so i can get online, but the signal is SUPER weak. Is there any way i can increase my ability to receive the signal without hassling him?

buy a wireless repeater and place it between you and the source…

they are like 40-80 i think

the thing is he is in another building. I’d have to put it outside. HAHA.

Repeater, high-gain, or directional antenna.

If it’s a laptop, or something without an external antenna, a repeater would probably be the best bet.

anyone have something i can TRY?

It’s a desktop w/ a wireless card. I have the little antenna thingy on the back.

pay for your own? how far from the source are you?

i think you mean HOW far… and… i don’t know where he keeps his router… maybe 200 feet?

and i’m not going to pay 65 bucks a month to check nyspeed/myspace at home once or twice a day…

i’ll just go w/out if that’s the case.

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/columns/article.php/1008901

i know that is not the only thing you do on the internet… but with barking dogs and no internet what made you want to live there?

i was going to post this.

haha, nice. i’m totally going to make this

http://www.oreillynet.com/images/weblog_graphics/flickenger/shotgun.jpg

im about 300 feet away from the router i get my signal from. i just went to radio shack and bought a netgear wifi extender paid 50 bux but i get full sig.

It’s really an awesome place!

:picard: I hate to say it, but I’ve heard that cantenna’s actually work really well. Do it. :tup:

if you make something to receive the signal, you might see it but wont stay connected. your laptop doesn’t change its sending power.

kind of like the old CB radio things. people would buy the huge antennas so they can receive further signals but you still are only outputting at a certain power.

only thing you can try is to find a wireless card that supports Enhanced-G network and hope the router does the same.

The whole idea is to focus those signals, much in the similar way a satellite dish does. (Just less efficently obviously.) It does work, but it is extremely temperamental in regards to directional changes.

A large antenna is a whole different ballgame, and there are many other things on how that can hurt a signal in both directions. Both in broadcasting, due to what you mentioned above. And in receiving, length not optimal for the waveform.

Most of the antennas used for wireless are around 1 to 1.5 inches for a reason.

try rubbing your dick on the window facing the street

helps me sometimes :gotme:

what they said will work.

especially zwarbyt?

A properly made cantenna will work quite well if you can aim it towards the router.

Just make it decent out of a pringles can and it should do the job just fine… Theres plans all over the internet.

Or you can get a cheap linksys WRT54G router, run DD-WRT on it, boost the output, and make it into a $20-40 repeater… Its quite simple and can be done all via software in 2-3 mins…