HTPC?

Who here has a home theater PC setup? What OS/Sw you running and whats your rig?

I’m starting to shop around and wanna see what works for others so i dont waste money

http://nyspeed.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2283991

:slight_smile:

I’ve been doing the HTPC/Media Server thing since ~1998. Current machine is running XP, no special software, really. I use Power DVD, VLC, Winamp or Windows Media Player, depending on what I’m doing. I’ve not bothered with IR remote control at this point, but I’ve considered going to the Bluetooth Logitech DiNovio setup, except the mouse is inferior to the corded one I use now.

Video card is a BFG NVidia 8800GT, which is overkill for HT, but I use this same machine for gaming primarily. It goes VGA direct to my TV (Sony KDL46W3000), supporting a whole plethora of resolutions, everything between 640x480 up to 1920x1080. I tried a DVI-HDMI adaptor and ended up with a worse picture than what I get with VGA, not to mention that adaptor plus the cable cost $200. Not worth it IMO, but others will disagree.

The motherboard/processor combo is a bit older than the rest of the system, it is a socket 939 AMD 64x2 4400+ dual core setup. Board is an Asus A8N SLi deluxe, using the onboard sound (capable of 7.1, but I am running 5.1 currently). Most importantly for an HTPC is low noise. I’ve got a Zalman CNP-S9500 cooler, and I can run the fan at the lowest setting with my processor never exceeding 50C even under max load.

Right now, if I were building a machine, I’d be looking at the new Intel processors (codename WolfDale, specifically a Core 2 Duo E8400) that run very cool due to the 45nm process shrink. Cooler means quieter, even though you will still be getting a lightning-fast machine.

I recently added a Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro stick to the system, now it can also function as a DVR, and it will capture in full HD quality (at about 4GB for an hour show). Still need to find out if the updated software will also give me surround sound, the old version bundled with the card gave 2 channel only. I’ll have the answer tomorrow when the Daytona 500 is on.

www.avsforums.com