My HTPC Build

Hey:

I finally decided to put this together after a long wait. Talk about being behind in terms of knowledge/technology. I had to do a lot of reading and I am still a newb. I am going to have this done in a few weeks. If this is greek to you, seriously, it’s worth some investigating. Here’s my build:

PHARCYDE-HTPC-1

Antec New Solution NSK2480 Black/Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 380W PS ($114.99 + 16.47)

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ ($100)
GIGABYTE AM2 AMD 690V Micro ATX (GA-MA69GM-S2H) ($85)
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB DDR2800 (PC26400) ($35)

WD Caviar 500GB Sata/300 7200RPM 16MB Cache HD (WD5000AAKS) ($100)
WD Caviar 500GB Sata/300 7200RPM 16MB Cache HD (WD5000AAKS) ($100)

LITE-ON 12X DVD-ROM 32X CD-ROM SATA Blu-ray DVD-ROM (DH-4O1S-08) ($179.99)

Rosewill 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card (RNX-G300E) ($14.99 + $5.29)
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 1178 ATSC/ClearQAM/NTSC TV Tuner PCI w/Remote $89.99 + $4.99

Microsoft Wireless Keyboard w/ Mouse (ZV7-00009) ($39.99 + 5.84)

MS Windows Vista x64 Media Center
PowerDVD Ultra
DVDShrink
HD Decrypter

so basically a 1k$ tower?

Tower? Look up that case. I didn’t care too much for amazing look. I want functionality > *

failboat on the vista. jk

looks like a good starting setup.

congrats

I absolutely LOVE Vista. I have had 0 problems with it and the new features and UI make it a great upgrade. I am loving it every minute. No driver issues at all.

hate vista many reasons, not worth listing

I had a ton issues with vista, but then again so did I with every predecessor.

My fav windows would have to be 95.

I use the 64 bit version which should make it less adaptive but, honesty, no problems at all. I use Media Center for the HTPC so I have no real choice as I want things to be very native.

My laptop came with Vista Extreme or whatever, i would rather have XP, Some of my tuning software for my car, i gotta use my old laptop because only xp supports it. but what can you do :sad

throw some pics up !!!

Or ban :ninja

I’m waiting on some damn parts. :slight_smile:

Holy shit. My Vista x64 Business was rock solid and SP1 RC1 was rock solid. Vista x86 Ultimate has been absolute shit in terms of reliability. I am putting on SP1 and praying.

HTPC came out good. Sound/Video sound sick.

Instability appears to be from bad Patriot ram. I replaced the ram with ram from another machine and I am reloading Vista. This is why people should always go back to their posts and be accurate or bad information is spread.

Again, I absolutely LOVE Vista. It’s been rock solid for me and I am hoping this ordeal truly is not related to the OS.

I dont understand a single word of this. What are you building, a bomb or computer or what?

1 TB of space = NOM NOM NOM :nod

LIES! HTPC = Home Theatre Personal Computer. I don’t use DVD. It all gets ripped to my HD. I have 2TB of HD space. Basically, I am typing this post from my couch using a wireless keyboard and viewing on my 52" HDTV. It also supports Blu-Ray and HD Audio. It also has connections for my digital camera and digital video camera as well. I plan to do DVR with it after I get it all up and running nicely.

I altered the list based on last second changes:

I’ll break it down:

PHARCYDE-HTPC-1

Antec Black/silver MicroATX Case w/ 380W PS (NSK2480) (It’s the computer case. It looks similiar to a receiver in a Home Theatre system)

AMD Athlon 64 5400+ 2.8GHz (ADO5400IAA5DO) (This is the CPU)
GIGABYTE AM2 AMD 690V Micro ATX (GA-MA69GM-S2H) (This is the motherboard with HDMI and digital optica via S/PDIF)
GIGABYTE EVR Sleeve CPU Cooler (GH-PDU22-SC) (CPU fan)

Patriot Extreme Performance 2X1GB 240-Pin DDR800/PC26400 Dual Channel RAM (PDC22G6400ELK) (The memory that is actual the problem)

POWERCOLOR HD 3450 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 (AX3450) (The video card. It’s ATI’s new line that has very good HD decoding for watching Blu-Ray DVDs).

Seagate 500GB SATA 3.0GB 720RPM 16MB Cache HD (ST3500641AS) (One of the 4 HDs)
Seagate 500GB SATA 3.0GB 720RPM 16MB Cache HD (ST3500641AS) (One of the 4 HDs)

Pioneer SATA Blu-Ray DVD-ROM/12X DVD±R DVD Burner (BDC-202BK) (Blu-Ray drive for ripping/watching Blu-Rays and burning DVDs and whatnot)

NETGEAR 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Adapter (WG311) (Wireless card so I can connect to my HTPC via my other PCs and to use the Internet on the HTPC as well)

VidaBox Premium Wireless Keyboard with Optical Trackball (ACC-BT-KBOTB) (Wireless keyboard with built-in mouse)

You need cheap new parts, my dad has a computer business, or any help tell me. hes been doing computers for over 30 years, and me… like since i was 6.

I appreciate it but I rarely put anything cheap in my PC.

I do need a good PCI Wireless adapter that supports Vista. Got anything? Mine blows.