Hvac Air Conditioning retrofit

Picked up a nice brick ranch in Winchester in the Harlem/Mineral/Indian triangle. Hot water baseboard heat, boiler rocks my socks off compared to my old force air of years past. Set @ 60 degrees, I’m sittin’ pretty in a T-shirt and don’t need a down comforter anymore.

Now the question at hand, is a stand alone A/C unit made to retrofit into the center of the house to cool the better part of the house vs. multiple window units sucking my life out of me via my electrical bill? I understand I’ll need to run some duct work, mainly focused on the central part of the home and bedrooms. floor plan is very square, no upstairs, and running a duct into the “attic” would not be hard in the middle of the home.

thanks
-Zac

Or you could run a ductless split system also, like the Mr. Slim by Mitsu if you did not want to run ducts. But since you are a ranch house it may be easier to have the one handler in the attic and run ducting to each room from there. Looks like a spider of air ducts and intakes all said and done. EvoMR has this in his attic.
I currently have window units and as they came with the house, but I am getting very sick of the look of them and I hate the noise they make, gets annoying. I have a multi level home and will more than likely end up with a ductless split system by mitsu, LG, or Frederick. Its on my list of house projects :banghead:

oooo, whole system in the attic would be pretty simple to install. ducting all in the attic, plenty of room up there to clown around. That’s the info I needed.

yeah, a lot of people put the air handler and duct work all in the attic.

just dont forget to insulate the duct really well otherwise they will sweat like a whore in church.

i would recomend a Space Pak system easy to install and cheaper than an air handler

Mr. Slims are twice the cost of a traditional split per ton. And jesus that Space Pak system is a joke, its low flow, high velocity system. Its not going to cool shit unless you have it blasting on you, its also not designed for large spaces. The static loss you are going to have through pvc is insane. Just get a traditional split, put it in your attic, insulate all ducts with minimum R-6 insulation. Buy a ton of flex duct and dampers to balance the system. Install with a central located return. Tonnage for residential is about 500 sq. ft. per ton.

they make a traditional Split system that does only cooling?

If u have the attic space id deffantly reccomend a handler system. Building trunkline in the basement would cost alott more forsure.like the previous guy said flex duct it usuing 6inch and find a good spot for ur return probably in a hallway. A house over in the mineral area would probably suit a 2 ton coil and condenser. Maybe u can get lucky and find a R22 unit too might be slim tho.

yeah ~1500 Sq feet, + the “breezeway” which was the original 1 car garage they built two car onto when it was done, so I’ve got 3 cars worth of garage, but one’s frame in, without an overhead door and has a baseboard out there I’d like to cool as well. All accessable via the attic very easily. Going to do some work up there in the spring and upgrade some insulation and try to get this knocked out. Any sugestions for HVAC comapnies? Or anyone who does it on the side who could get the unit, point out what to do, come back, check my work and charge it or do the whole job reasonably.

yes, all basic air handlers are cooling only, electric heat is an option.

baseboard heat rules