Anyone use a free standing air conditioner?

I’m looking at the free standing air conditioning units. Something small like a 5k btu would work fine. Now, will the evaporative units work just as well as a traditional type? I just don’t want to run a drain, but I will if its that much better.

From what I have read, the portable AC units are terrible. The way they convert the room temperature air to cool air, exhaust it out the window and dry the air out just doesn’t work. Plus you have to drain the water. I was looking into one and I just decided to buy a 12k BTU window unit.

I have used them before in small server rooms/data closets and they work just fine…

A lot of them have decently long vent tubes you can run to a drain

Same here we had one in a switch room before it had central A/C. Kept it nice and cool with a Cisco core switch running in it as well. Never had to empty it or drain it. Right now it got moved to a satellite location in our “server room”, and it’s not working at all. But I think the main reason is that it’s vented wrong.

I imagine the vent has to be all downhill, since there’s probably no pump pushing it.

I use windows…
I thought about a split air… might do that in the next house.

I have also used the free standing ones with out a drain and they worked great no issues…

Just go on Amazon and check reviews.

I was looking at something like This to cool a 170 sq ft room at night. Looks like it doesn’t need a drain.
I just don’t want to deal with a window set up.

I have one at home that vents through the window. I can’t run it currently cause it will blow the circuit it’s on if the computers upstairs are running.

Eh the more I look at these the worst they look. I’m better off with a $100 window unit.

Don’t bother, trust me.

I bought a 12000 BTU portable AC unit from BJ’s for 299 w/free shipping. Works great

I bought this Haier unit
http://www.target.com/p/Haier-14-000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner/-/A-12376409?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|12376409&CPNG=appliances&ci_sku=12376409&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

However I got it for 400 after taxes, several rebates, and coupons. It’s baller as fuck. No draining no mess no fuss. It dehumidifys as well as cools. Howver 14K BTU portable does not compare to my old school 12K BTU window mounted one. After lots of research I found the one I bought to be one of the best for the money out there. They might still carry them at BJs with a coupon for the same/similar price.

i have a 10000BTU joint in the studio, made by sharp

its not terrible to be honest. but i think it also goes out the drop ceiling (just how the building is).

I have two of the same units. I also have 80’s encasement windows :confused: I made some inserts out of plexiglass that fit in where the screens go and hook up the hose. I didn’t want to put the hose through a wall. Ultimately a window unit would work best because of the heat that can radiate off the tube but I will say I have a fairly open house and this thing works well. It was cheaper, easier and faster than getting a central air unit put in…I also have a boiler so no vents :confused:

Either way this will do the job.

Same thing with casement windows. but just in the living room now as most were replaced finally. I did insulate my exhaust tube going outside to keep the heat from dissipating into the room.

How did you hook your tube up?

Is it really that expensive to do central air? If you have forced air heat, you just need that heat exchanger thing that goes in the furnace and the compressor jam that sits outside? I’d imagine you could prolly pick the stuff up used and pay an hvac company to hook the shit up?

Edit: just did some research, it’s not that expensive. Under 2k for a 3.5ton/13SEER setup.

I made a plexiglass window with a nice wood trim to snap in place where the screen does. In the lower right hand corner of the new window I made a hole for the attachment piece and sealed it in with caulk. It turned out really nice.

$2k vs. $500 or less is a huge difference

Not really considering central air cools your whole home.