HVLP Gun & Latex Paint

Has anyone sprayed latex paint with an HVLP gun and a compressor (not a turbine)? I have two steel doors to paint and would rather not brush/roll them. They were originally rattle canned, but I need a custom color. I’ll also need to spray an oil based primer first.

Gravity feed or siphon gun? Suggestionson a gun? About 20% thinning of the latex? Did you use Floetrol to keep it from drying to fast?

not sure about thinning latex paint. i would imagine you would have to have a pretty big tip to spray the latex. look for tips used in spraying high build primers as they are pretty thick.

worse case scenario you can get custom color mixed up in enamel?

If you get a good quality roller and good paint you wouldn’t be able to tell it was rolled…

As far as the HVLP, sorry I have nothing to contribute.

That was the plan, but it’s a six panel door with indentations, so I’m not sure if the roller will get into the grooves. And it’s an excuse to buy a paint gun. :smiley:

i have sprayed latex with a hvlp, but it was a pressure pot gun. i have seen it done with a suction feed but never done it myself. if you have a gun with at least a 2.0 tip it should work. thin it with water till you get it to spray a good fan.

a six panel door will look noticeably better if sprayed.

also you dont need to prime it if it has a factory primer, but you will need dtm(direct to metal) latex paint. dtm also thins with water but it will flow better than a standard latex and there will be no need for oil primer.

Why not use automotive paint ?

I guess I really don’t know enough about mixing it, clear coating it, prepping something that’s already painted, etc. But yeah, that would probably be the nicest finish. This is all probably overkill for man-doors in a garage anyway.

Lory’s cousin uses PPG auto paint on his steel doors. works great

you can use single stage enamel can get it mixed any color you want. it is easy to thin out just get some mixing cups and prep it with a scratch pad. single stage will be easiest since do not need ot clear coat it

The door has Painter’s Touch spray can paint on it right now, and I need to fix a few dents in it. What kind of primer should I use?

Would a $50 Lowe’s gun handle the job?

The wagner commercials plagued my mind
http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/portal/loader.php

not sure about the lowes spray gun never bought one. you may be able to look at Kelly’s auto for a paint gun. they used to sell ATC guns. used to have good luck with them, they were cheap and disposable.

All our outside doors at our house are automotive paint… it lays really nice. Just use single stage paint… this way your doors look good and you still get to buy that new paint gun :slight_smile:

maybe buy a junk gun from harbor freight and throw it away when your done

you buy gun use it then coroner throws away