how to paint?

i did an internship and was doing body work like 10 years ago, but never really got to mix and lay paint… i was on the other side of the shop breathing dust all day.

i have decided that i want to learn to paint, and i know a couple of you have experiance. how about posting knowledge.

thanks

the best thing that will help you is experience…you need to know what the paint looks like while spraying to know if you have enough paint for it to flow out smoothly. nothing you’ll learn here.

some key steps i take.

1.) get your spray pattern adjusted propperly (depends on what you’re spraying) small parts are better to use a tighter spray pattern or if you’re working on something larger and need to spray into tighter areas…adjust the gun for the tighter areas.

Spraying larger panels, you’ll generally use a broader spray pattern. Again, getting the settings correct is best taught through experience.

2.) Assuming your’re using the correct ratio’s and the correct reducer (medium reducer is a good all-around reducer,…but if it is exceptionaly warm out you’ll need a slower reducer) make sure you have your air pressure adjusted propperly to get full atomization of the paint.

to do this…spray something like a newspaper in light spurts. examine the spray to see that you don’t have clumps of paint, splatter, or ‘stringy’ looking paint.

any of these problems can stem from a dirty gun, too little/much air pressure, impropper mixed ratio of reducer/paint

3.) when spraying stay about 10-12 inches from the work piece through the entire spray. keep your spray distance with the contour of the work piece. This gives you a nice even coat and reduces the chances of runs or orange peel

4.) when spraying… start and stop off the work piece. Never start spraying while on the workpiece because the gun tends to splatter and if you aren’t moving fast enough when you start…you’ll get a nice run/drip.

5.) Clean your gun. A clean gun is a happy gun. (insert penis for gun and it makes sense too)

6.) I can’t think of anymore off-hand… so lastly, … pay me to teach you. :wink:

I’m not a master painter by any means, but these are the steps i have taken for successful sprays. Prep is 85% of a good paint job.

oh, you’ll get paid :slight_smile:

i figured i would start off with single stages, and just shooting junk panels, my dog, whatever.

incase anyone else cares… heres a forum with a lot of realy good info

whats up with some paint tech sessions josh?

my bimmer needs a lot of paintwork. :frowning:

yeah ill pay - how much u want to teach

im going to bump this again.

josh, or anyone, what would you suggest for a compressor, and affordable guns for a DIY?

I just read some steps in my car audio and electronics mag. They used a small sears compressor and Harbor Freight hvlp gun. Next month they will cover getting rid of orange peel and crap. i can scan the pages and send them to ya. If theres some kind of nyspeed painting class coming up, I want in.

[quote=“dreid,post:7,topic:12632"”]

I just read some steps in my car audio and electronics mag. They used a small sears compressor and Harbor Freight hvlp gun. Next month they will cover getting rid of orange peel and crap. i can scan the pages and send them to ya. If theres some kind of nyspeed painting class coming up, I want in.

[/quote]

scan them and i will host them

I’m going to be repairing the rear quarters on my civic…you can come watch if you want.

[quote=“NotJustATrophyBitch,post:9,topic:12632"”]

I’m going to be repairing the rear quarters on my civic…you can come watch if you want.

[/quote]

let me know where and when

ive been looking to get into this too. i have a turbine compressor and i was planning on getting an inexpensive HVLP gun. as soon as strokedlx finishes my rear quarter im gonna block the car and lay down some primer.

if u want to come over for some experimentation u can. im planning on doing the whole civic DIY style(once the bondo and shit is done).

[quote=“Coldaccord,post:4,topic:12632"”]

whats up with some paint tech sessions josh?

my bimmer needs a lot of paintwork. :frowning:

[/quote]

Same, my touring desperately needs a repaint, but I’m getting the mechanicals and interior done first. Plus I’m not going to repaint it then take it cross country twice :lol:

I’ve got a good gun and a compressor. Want to learn to paint. zerodaze, let me know what you do, I want to get down too

[quote=“Coldaccord,post:13,topic:12632"”]

zerodaze, let me know what you do, I want to get down too

[/quote]

well i mostly do chics, and at halloween i like to paint the boobies like pumpkins

haha. i wanna learn toooooooooo. im just gonna wing it

[quote=“boardjnky4,post:15,topic:12632"”]

im just gonna wing it

[/quote]

famous last words…

[quote=“Z man,post:16,topic:12632"”]

famous last words…

[/quote]

no doubt.
i worked at a body shop for a year after i was in boces for autobody about 12 years ago. i didnt get to spray anything larger than a panel… i did mostly prep work and mixed shit. the last thing you want to “wing” is painting. there is a lot involved in paint work. i am sure a lot has changed in the last 12 years, and what hasnt changed i’ve forgotten.

i picked up a book and started reading, and a lot is coming back… but you cant learn the “feel” from a book

well holler at me if you get some paint sessions together. I have a gun and compressor we can use

I have a ton of spare body stuff sitting around we can play with this summer.

when you say compressor, you mean the type that makes the loud ass noise nwhen filling up and has the tank? im just asking because the one i have is old and i dont know if it could be used in this application. i want to learn because all the cars i find arent the color i want