I am in this month's issue of Hemmings muscle machines

They did a nice writeup of me on page 70 of the July issue.

:tup: congrats

If that don’t get you laid I don’t know what will!

Congrats!

congrats, now i gotta go check it out

Pics?

REPOST hahaha :stuck_out_tongue:

Congrats man.

congratz

Congrats man!

Here it is in case anyone is interested.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3032/2693656263_6bb2e69568.jpg?v=0

Scott Lasky isn’t exactly your average joe. Unlike other gearheads, he doesn’t subscribe to the common formula for running quarter-mile contests: blown V-8 stuffed into a pre-1972 anything that even remotely fits inside the muscle car definition boundaries. No, Lasky sticks it out in lane two, if you will. His steed isn’t a GM A-body, or a Mopar E-body. It’s not rear-wheel drive, nor does it contain a thunderous V-8 big-block. As a matter of fact, it doesn’t even have a turbo-six. For Lasky, his lightly regarded turbo-enhanced 1985 Dodge Shelby Charger front-drive four-banger will do just fine.

That doesn’t mean Lasky hasn’t tasted traditional muscle car power. His first car while in high school was a 1979 Pontiac Trans Am with a 400-cu.in. engine and a four-speed stick. Yet a turbo Chrysler product was never far from his mind, especially considering the fact that his father had worked his way from a mechanic to general manager of Commack Chrysler.

“A couple of months after I got my license, my father brought home a black and silver 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger as a new demo. During that whole summer, he would just hand over whatever keys he had at the time when he came home from work, and that Charger was no different. Let’s just say that the car was broken in very nicely by the time the dealership sold it,” recalled Lasky, a resident of Rochester, New York. “Ever since then, I had always wanted one.”

Reality has a way of taking the reins though. It’s the same story that many of us have experienced in some fashion. You purchase your first new car after college graduation. Marriage and family soon follow, as well as a house to settle the family in. Let’s not forget a budding career that quickly hits the double digits in years of tenure, all inside a period of time that seems to pass as fast as nine innings of baseball. Muscle cars are relegated to the realm of car shows, though some of us, the lucky few (including Lasky), manage to do something more.

“I finally decided to get back into cars,” said Lasky, and you can feel the enthusiasm in his words. That’s when he mentions that he was tired of leasing and maintaining a car payment, so he purchased his 1985 Charger. “I was able to acquire it for $900 in October of 2003, and it came with a bunch of extra parts. At first, it was a daily driver. After a month and a new mini-van, I decided to turn the Dodge into my project car.”

Lasky, by his own admission, was out of practice when it came to cars, and a fuel injection system was completely new territory when he started to dig in. As it turned out, the previous owner had performed a lot of modifications, yet it seems as though not one of them was in a “finished” state.

“I picked it up real fast since the car needed a lot more work than I originally thought. Along the way, I discovered that the turbo was bad. You have to remove the head to replace it, and that’s when I found out that the head was a mess as well,” recalled Lasky.

In short order, however, Lasky had the Charger running perfectly, and he entered it in the 2004 season opener at New York International Raceway Park, a quarter-mile track located in nearby Leicester.

It was his first time at the track, as well his debut in “official” competition. Said Lasky, “My first pass was a 14.8 with a 2.8-second 60-foot time, and I beat the Honda I was racing against. I had a grin from ear to ear the whole way down the track and I was hooked on it.”

Since then, it’s been a steady progression of not only improved performance and new modifications, but also elapsed times. It was out with the stock 2.2-liter in favor of a turbo 2.5L from a 1989 Dodge Shadow. The conglomeration of “mostly stock” parts on the sleeper included the conversion from a rod-shifted manual to a cable-shifted unit, and according to Lasky, a lot of handy information about tuning Shelby Chargers can be found on www.turbo-mopar.com.

Along with computer calibrations and an upgrade to a Super 60 turbo unit, his best e.t. to date was a 12.44 at 112.68 mph–with slicks. Lasky even managed to win his bracket class at the 2007 Shelby Dodge Auto Club convention, a triumph he is hoping to repeat at this year’s meet in Detroit.

“Over the years, I’ve been improving it as I find it. For instance, the real bottleneck now is the air induction; the intake, head, and even the exhaust manifold are all stock, and though I am running 12.50s on a consistent basis and beating purpose-built muscle cars, this is an area in need of improvement. During the winter, I am hoping to accumulate the parts for better flow,” Lasky said with a smile.

“I have the best wife in the world; she really supports my hobby, and I’m saving up some money so that I can purchase a junior dragster for my oldest daughter so that she can start her racing hobby a little sooner than I did.”

very cool, man :slight_smile:

schweet :tup:

good work :tup:

Cool little write up.

Congrats.

Did you send something in to gain the interest of them?

Noce writeup.Congrats

:tup:

Thanks everyone.

They had an invitational track day a couple of years ago. I was one of the cars they wrote up for the event a year ago. One of the editors sent me an email:

I currently write the Weekend Warrior column for the magazine and have found myself buried in a mountain of rather mundane Fox-platform Mustangs for the column - not exactly what I would like to feature week after week. That’s not to say that those cars are not of interest to us, it’s just that you generally find the same laundry list of modifications, no matter the location of the car.

And that’s when it hit me the other day - as I was scouring the files for something to feature - that we had a file on hand of the owners/cars that came to our 2006 Test and Tune day at Lebanon Valley. In fact, one of the first vehicles that came to mind was your 1985 Dodge Shelby Charger. As it has been some time since it appeared in HMM, I think the time is fitting to feature a unique vehicle such as yours.

From what I understand, several changes have been made since then, including a fresh coat of paint. I am hopeful of a number of things as my deadline fast approaches. One: do you still own the car? Two: do you have any current photos that are suitable for printing? Three: Would you be a willing candidate for said feature? If so, would it be at all possible to contact you as early as Monday to obtain more/current information, and is there a suitable number to reach you at?

Here is the first article I was in last year.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1306/1385573385_7180faf1b9.jpg?v=0
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1366/1385573883_ab24dc2b29.jpg?v=0

so is this 2 mags… IIRC there was more but i could be worng

Thats very cool. Where’s Lebanon Valley?

Two articles and one letter with a picture so far.

Southeast of Albany

:clap:Nice!