I drive Daytona... triple digit speeds + 31 degrees of banking = insane!

Thats where I sat at and shot the Rolex 24hr race. I felt like I was going to fall backwards when I was walking up the bank. I have one on the bank but it doesn’t show how steep that thing really is.

very cool man! Glad you had a blast:beer:

Indeed, pictures don’t do it justice. Neither does the video. It feels like you’re in a bowl and forward/rear vision is very limited. To see around the corner you really have to duck your head a bit to see past the a-pillar. Rearward vision is just plain limited and there’s nothing you can do. While up on the banking slower cars were told just to switch on the right turn signal so faster cars could pass on the right. Coming out of Nascar turns #1 and #2 passes had to be completed by the middle of the backstretch before heading into the chicane. After coming out of Nascar turns #3 and #4 the pass must be completed at the start/finish line. We then dove down into the infield course.

I was is a group with several pro driver and very fast cars. Therefore, my right turn signal got a lot of work at times. However, I did get a chance to do my own passing of slower cars up on the banking. Driving up on the high side was a blast.

Looks like alot of run. Were the transitions between the road course and NASCAR course smooth or did they pound the car? They looked smooth in the video but videos can be deceiving.

Awesome. Great video, too!

damn does that look like fun…

here’s your instructions to running that course…

Step 1. Turn steering wheel in a counter clockwise manner.

Step 2. There is no step 2.

:kekegay:

Step 2. Repeat Step 1.

Good luck with those instructions in the infield couse and the bus stop/chicane at the end of the backstretch.

Hi Keith.

The transitions areas flat. Both the infield section and bus stop section rejoin the oval before the banking.

Eric,

I told TC this over on vwvortex, but I may have some dot-r compounds that I would let go cheap. I’m just hanging on to them for some auto-x stuff, but may be looking to get Hoosier A6’s or kumho victoracers as they are better auto-x compounds.

everything I have is a hoosier R3s04 and in 225/45/17. I may have 2 245/40/17’s but as I said, I want to see how everything works at the beginning of this season. I’ll either let you or TC know.

chris

Little bit of a thread hijack here, but should be helpful for you…

Victoracers are NOT on the same level as A6s. A6s are the hotness if you run on asphalt. If you run on very grippy concrete Kuhmo 710s may be as good or possibly better. 710s will be a close second to A6s on asphalt and Victoracers will be way back from that. 710s will give you a much longer service life, and don’t slow down too bad right ‘til you cord them. A6s slow down noticeably after about 30 laps, and if you don’t either flip them or run s-tons of negative camber you’ll cord them way earlier than 710s. I corded 1 front at 37 laps. But most of those laps were very high speed, very long courses on a super grippy concrete lot. In retrospect 710s are a better tire for what I do w/ my car… but they don’t have the right sizes in 18s for me. I’m probably down-grading back to 17s for AutoX for next year so I can go back to 710s. In a lighter car (my car is about 3150lbs w/o driver) running enough camber (I run -2.8/-1.7 and that’s not enough) on asphalt the A6 is the tire to have. Other than that, go 710s. 710s can also serve very well for track days (I’ve used them several times and they hold up fantastically and offer amazing grip) and can be driven on to/from the event within reason. Some guys swear by A6s for qualifying but I wouldn’t trust them for a 25 minute session on a road course. And I certainly wouldn’t street drive them.

-TJ

Thanks for the info, Eric. After running the road course at Nashville Superspeedway in 2004, I vowed to never run one of those hybrid tracks again. The transitions were brutal and since the one race was at night (in the dark), you could see the sparks off the cars at the transition points. In my car, the transition between the road course back to the NASCAR frontstraight was so violent that it momentarily affected my vision. I was worried that someone was going to have a wheel hub/bearing failure with the car floored headed towards the wall. After that event, NASA decided to never run there again for that specific reason.

I guess not all rovals are created equal and maybe I need to reconsider. I guess I’ll add Daytona back to my list of tracks get get to. Thanks.

Thanks TJ! I’ll keep all of that in mind as I prepare to buy, or buy used!

Great resource for used R-compound: http://www.jbracingtires.net/

-TJ

Did you drive you car down Eric?
Did TC go with you, I know he mentioned it before.
Looks like great fun!

Yes, T.C. did mention it to me. Please keep us posted. Thank you!

Did you drive you car down Eric?
Did TC go with you, I know he mentioned it before.
Looks like great fun!

Yeppers. T.C. and I drove my car down and then split the track time. He had some last minute mechanical issues with his Jetta so I decided to just share my car vs. not going at all. It worked out very well.

i love boats