Who has driven Watkins Glen

Any of you foos? Step up Chuck I know you have. Any pointers you guys can give me before I step out for a run at it this weekend? What kind of times are you running? Since It my first time and I’m running on :gay: 225/50/16 GoodQUEER street radials I don;t expect anyhting better than a 2:40 or so. I’ll be very happy with that infact by the end of the weekend.

Nobody here will have better advice than the instructors, so why even ask?

:word:

Why learn anyone else’s bad habits? If you have instructors on site, they will teach you.

brake turn gas… thats all u really need to know

Ive driven it with a Porsche 911 and it was the funnest thing i have ever done racing wise, if your in a class the instructors will tell you every thing you need to know, all i can really add is that you should obveously stay on he concrete patches on your turns.
Have Fun Good luck!

i drove it in my dads mg, got it up to 60 on the straight wooo hooo

yeah it was a parade lap

i drove it in my dads mg, got it up to 60 on the straight wooo hooo

yeah it was a parade lap

Well I also drove the brickyard in a MG too so Im totally cool

If your going on the track for a parade lap always get the last spot thats what we did the one year so that way you can fall far behind then really race on the track, not just be guided by the pace!!!

Best hardware advice:

• Defiintly check brake pads/rotors and bleed the brakes before you go. A backup set of pads is in order if you have not changed them recently.

• Have a decent radiator. Running the motor at/close to redline for 25 miniutes will show you whether or not you have cooling issues :wink:

• A much better time to be had if you actually have track tires, something relatively sticky. Tires are the biggest increase in the fun factor.

The best advice I can add is:

• late apex, late apex, late apex.
  • If any of your tires get off the track, just keep going off, DO NOT try and correct because 9 times out of 10 you will not end with the shiny side up.

But the track should be nice seeing as formula one just finished up over there! Good luck!

Speaking of bad advice.:slight_smile:

Holy shit!!!
Best advice… Don’t listen to anyone on here.

OK after the last two posts I must look like a “know it all” but I have driven at least 20 track days at The Glen.:slight_smile:
I assume you are attending a driving school.(?)

Listen to your instructor.

Make sure you inspect your car from top to bottom.

After hot laps, drive slowly around the infield to cool your car and to think about your driving.(THIS VERY IMPORTANT and a lot of people don’t do it)

Listen to your instrutor.

Get in the habit of finding every corner worker on every lap.

I could list a thousand more things.

One more thing…

It is good that you have street tires if you are new at this.
Track tires should never be used by beginners.

After hot laps, drive slowly around the infield to cool your car and to think about your driving.(THIS VERY IMPORTANT and a lot of people don’t do it)

another thing to add to that is never set your parking brake because you will fuse your pads to your rotors.

I gaurantee you will have brake fading issues so just keep checking your mirrors to see if they are smoking (this will varry depending on if you are running race or street pads) I only add this because I smell mine than they smoke a little then they start fading and smoke a LOT.

Get in the habit of finding every corner worker on every lap.

also a very good point you will be suprised at how easy it is to ignore them, I drove around a full lap before I noticed I was black flagged for my instructer having his hand out the pass window and they made him put it up. bad instructer :slight_smile:

Have a decent radiator. Running the motor at/close to redline for 25 miniutes will show you whether or not you have cooling issues

good advice check your gauges on a open straighe every couple of laps to make sure all is good, I doubt you will have engine cooling issues though just don’t go crazy. let me know what your oil temp is running i’m curious, if you get to run a really long session I would advise against anything past 25 min maby 30 but no more. our cars are awsome but they have limits runs and hides

recap:
no E-barke just put it into gear
be aware of fading brake because shit happens fast
tell me what your oil temp is running.
like everyone said your instructers will give you a TON of information just pay atention and learn fast and mount a video camera, you saw my track vid I want to see yours :smiley:

Thanx guys! I just picked up my brand new, shinny twin core radiator so we won’t have any cooling issues with that, my 180* t-stat and setting the fan to come on at 185* instead of 195*. Got my PF metalic track brake pads ready, the rears are new too. I wish I had a vid camera, that will be the only negative part. Hopefully it’ll be a fun weekend and I’ll bring her home in 1 piece.

BTW any local sell Red-line water wetter?

Innovative Tuning, K&S Auto, and your local Autozone all carry Redline Water Wetter last I checked.

If you have specific track pads, you may want to pick up some Motul or Castrol high temp brake fluid and bleed your entire system. You have a heavy car, and it would help with the brakes lasting through the day. Just be sure to bleed and put DOT4 back in when you get home.

how much does it cost to run at the glen?? how many laps do you get?

It depends on who you go with and what type of event you go to.

2 day driving school with NEQ or PCA is roughly $300-$400.
You will get about 4 or 5 25 minute sessions per day.
It is a steal!!!

awwww man, find a camera somewhere!!! good luck, I’m sure you’ll show up quite a few “sports” cars while you’re down there.

damn dude, that would be AWESOME to run on the track :tup:

my old man, back when he was my age, went to a concert at the glen and him and his buddy did a few laps in his friends roadrunner :tup:

I may have to do this next year. I wasnt aware that they did driving school there :slight_smile: