Track prep for an Evo?

So I want to do the BBQ track day…

What would you recommend to do?(the car is my 05 Evo VIII, Cams, cutout, intake, pump, injectors, cam gears,tune)

The things Im planing…

Finish the HDSS clutch…
Buy a 2nd set of Stock wheels/with stock tires.
I was thinking about Brake Pads… some one said Hawk pads… yes/no what type?

anything else to the to-do list?

Get a decent track pad. Hawk HP+ minimum.

Completely flush your brake system with some ATE Super Blue.

Bring an air compressor and good air guage since you’ll be playing with tire pressures, especially on stock tires that may tend to roll over more on the sidewall.

:word:

if u havant changed your drivetrain fluids in awhile… change them, make sure those are fresh and good to go

If you’re unsure, we have a list of things to check in our handbook on our website. Or, you can have Innovative look it over :tup:

Sorry mod… thanks for the move…

I was going to do oil change… and I drained the tranny when I droped it for the clutch so that will be fresh. coolent flush… anything else?

transfer case, rear diff?

bring a gas can if you plan on driving a lot, they only have 91 out there and when its super hot during the summer its not worth risking it under high boost… make sure the tires have a good amount of meat on them (dont leave your spare at home in case you chunk a tire) brake bleed, make sure your pads have plenty of material (Hawk HP+ or equivalent minimum as even those will be smoking within 5 laps), i flush my tranny prior to each race just for comfort, and finally tighten up all your intercooler clamps etc, bring extra clamps and/or vacuum hoses just in case you blow something off your turbo system.

oh big fyi: make sure you have accessible tow points, i melted my wastegate hose at TMP and then blew the turbo piping off on straight 2 and was stranded out there for 30min before limping the car off. I realized when i was out there that i had no front tow point since my FMIC was in the way…

Do you use OEM fluid or what would you recommend? for tranny, diff, t-case?

tranny: either OEM or redline MT-90

rear diff: OEM diaqueen

transfer case: OEM diaqueen

Pmed.

Thank you…

So…
Fluids (Diff, tranny, t-case)
Pads (hawk HP+)
Brake fluid (ATE Superblue)
Tires (atleast OEM or sticker)
Gas can full of 93 or better

Anything else?

I am running the Ferrodo 2500 pads for the track and very happy with them. They are not a cheap as the hawks though…

Careful with the hawk blues, they can kill a set of rotors.

Jeller

YGPM

yayayaya a spot may have open up for the track day :slight_smile:

and jeller thanks Ill look into them.

remove your front rotor heat shields (they unbolt) unless you want brown calipers and boiled fluid.

I would change any of the fluids mentioned if they have not been changed in the last 15k.

how much experience do you have…

for somebody with little to no track time you’ll be fine 100% stock in all aspects…
for an intermediate you’ll need all the brakes you can afford.
for advanced you don’t need my advice :smiley:

at my last dunnville day I ran hawk HPS with track tires and didn’t overheat them (but I do have ducts). 6 months earlier I would have been all over the brakes a bunch more and overheated them bad.

Ill go with choice one lol

First track day…
I’m putting HP+ on the car probably the weekend before… and swapping to ATE super blue…
The car only has 29k on it…(with at least 3-4 trips to SC and back, stock tires made it to 15k im not overly abusive) but I’m doing the clutch right now so I figured i will do all the fluids also.

I’m hopping to find a cheap set of wheels to throw tires on… or i’m stuck with my Goodyear all-seasons… :confused:

and I will take any good advice I can thats why i made this thread… oh and is the ride still available you offered awhile back :stuck_out_tongue:

Tires are nice to have, Brake fluid and pads is more of a “must”

X…

All that stuff is way over rated.
Make sure you do the typical safety checks(including pad thickness).
Done.
It’s not like you are doing a 6 hour endurance race or some old bucket of bolts vintage race.
Unless you have completely ignored maintence up to this point.

HP+ and superblue will be perfect. the nice thing about the HP+ is you can run them on the street.

Joe’sTypeS was having serious brake fadding issues on a new evo when we were at TMP, that’s not really safe if you can’t stop. All the Diff fluid, tranny fluid, blinker fluid changes are over doing it.

X…

Wrong. Stock pads and fluid WILL NOT hold up to lapping if you’re at all aggressive. I’ve done it on two cars, a relatively light Fiero with carbomet pads that I never had an issue with autocrossing 12+ events a year, and a heavy GTO with very good sized stock brakes. Both of them would have almost no brakes after 5-8 laps and I’d have to come in early.

At a minimum you need a good fluid and a track day rated pad. Unless of course you’re going up there as a poser because track days are suddenly “cool” and plan to just coast around the course. If that’s the case stock will be more than fine, but people will be getting very sick of constantly waiting to get by you.